Maaqtusiis Elementary School
2021-2022 Kindergarten Teacher
Are you a passionate dedicated teacher looking to be a part of unique team at a beautiful community-based school in Ahousaht, BC? If so, this opportunity is for you.
Maaqtusiis Secondary School is committed to serving the Ahousaht Nation on the West Coast of Vancouver Island (30-minute water taxi from Tofino). We are a trauma-informed school empowering strong, proud and resilient young people rising above the effects of colonization, residential schooling, cultural genocide and racism. We are committed to reflecting and supporting the revitalization of Ahousaht culture and language. With 12-20 students per classroom, class sizes are small allowing for high-quality engaging instruction.
We are Looking for Someone Who:
- Is a passionate, dedicated Kindergarten Teacher who wants to support our one hundred and fifty students to the next level
- Believes that positive, caring relationships with students are foundational to learning
- Wants to make a difference as a counsellor
- Assists students in reaching their highest potential
- Is able and willing to implement our literacy and numeracy programs to a high level
- Is able and willing to adapt and modify the curriculum to meet the individual needs of students
- Is willing to implement a positive classroom management plan aligned with the School Wide Positive Behaviour System
- The successful applicant will receive a full-time one-year contract with the possibility of extending
- The successful applicant will teach kindergarten full time
- The successful applicant will receive a competitive salary (based on Port Alberni - District 70’s salary grid)
- The successful applicant will be provided accommodation in the community at a very low cost (also provided is isolated living allowance)
- Ability to develop rapport with students
- Ability to work collaboratively with fellow teachers, education assistants and support staff
- Strong interpersonal skills (including: communicating, critical thinking, collaborating)
Please send your resume including teaching-related references and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.