PLEASE NOTE: This is an ongoing posting. Ongoing postings are not indicative of an immediate vacancy. This allows you to apply to this specific posting for future consideration.
School District No. 23 (Central Okanagan) provides education services to 23,000 students in the communities of Peachland, West Kelowna, Kelowna, Lake Country and the Regional District of Central Okanagan. We invite applications for the position of:
Under the supervision of the Director of Operations or designate, this position has primary responsibility for the repair and maintenance of our fleet of vehicles, including school buses, trucks, vans, and grounds maintenance equipment.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- a B.C. or Interprovincial Automotive Service Technician Trade Certification with a B.C. or Interprovincial Heavy Duty Equipment Technician Trade Certification;
- Proven experience and demonstrated skills in the techniques, tools, equipment and safety precautions pertaining to the maintenance of service vans, trucks, grounds keeping equipment, heavy mobile equipment, and buses;
- Practical experience in electronic system diagnosis, electronic fuel injection systems, diesel and propane and CNG powered vehicles and their components, air conditioning systems, automatic transmissions, air bag systems and hydraulic systems;
- Practical experience in electric and acetylene welding techniques;
- Eligible to work under the B.C. Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement (CVSE) Vehicle Inspection Program;
- Valid Class 2 BC driver's license with air brake endorsement
- Valid WHMIS certificate.
A career with the School District offers a number of attractive features including:
- A total compensation package equivalent to over $36 per hour comprised of:
- An hourly wage rate of $29.29 per hour
- Participation in the Municipal Pension Plan, a defined benefit pension plan, with matching District contributions;
- Short and Long Term Disability programs in the event of illness;
- District contribution of 90% of MSP premiums;
- An Extended Health Care plan providing attractive subsidies for prescription drugs, eye glasses and paramedical services, among others;
- A Dental Plan providing attractive subsidies for routine, major restorative and orthodontic expenses;
Paid vacation beginning at 3 weeks per year and increasing as service increases, reaching 6 weeks after 20 years;
- Twelve (12) paid statutory holidays per year;
- District subsidized Life and AD&D insurance;
A substantial retirement allowance;
- Overtime compensation in the form of pay or additional time off.
- A standard 40 hour, Monday to Friday work schedule with no on-call rotation will allow you to take full advantage of the Okanagan lifestyle;
- Projections of stable student enrollment in the coming years provides the prospect of employment stability.