High School Teacher for the remainder 2020-21 School year
Kitasoo Community School is looking to hire a Teacher to teach our high school students. The incumbent, preferably, will have worked together in the past and offer all of the courses required for graduation in BC. The incumbent will be interested in implementing a land-based, inquiry-driven instructional model. This model will have culture and language embedded in all activities and assessments. Instruction will be a transdisciplinary project-based approach separated into 6-6 week community-driven projects.
Kitasoo Community School is a First Nations School Association accredited school that provides education for the community students from K-12. At approximately 50 students, our school is a small and tightly knit community. KCS is an important part of life in Klemtu and often hosts special events for families and community members, such as our annual school camping expedition to Marvin Island. We are committed to allowing our students to become responsible and contributing members of our community, who are grounded in their heritage and identity as members of the Kitasoo/Xai’xais Nation and ready to take on the world.
· Bachelor of Education
· Extensive experience on the land (trap lines, living or working in remote Indigenous communities, or other land-based experience) is an asset
· Experience working in the education field is an asset
· Knowledge and understanding of Indigenous culture and values
- Experience in utilization of Traditional Ecological knowledge or cultural knowledge within education-related fields
- Experience leading, facilitating and assessing inquiry projects
- Experience in up-to-date assessment practices of project-based learning
· Experience developing and delivering educational programming, specifically in land-based learning activities
· Ability to speak an Indigenous language is an asset
· Must be willing to provide a police criminal background check
· Able to work effectively and collaboratively with others
Duties will include, but may not be limited to:
· Lead experimental, land-based activities
· Assist our curriculum developer to develop programming that is based on a cultural land based program, and connections to the land
· Incorporate land based practices, protocols and the relationship to First Nation peoples’ identities and ways of life that will promote identity and culture
· Travel with students to land-based programming sites throughout the Kitasoo/ Xai’Xais traditional territory
· Other duties related to the KCS education as set by the KEA Board of Education
· Involve elders for guidance and direction
· Routine and standard classroom teacher expectations also apply.
Please contact for a full Job description.
To apply, please provide a cover letter and resume to Human Resources Officer at email@example.com
Open until filled.