POSTED: November 18, 2020
CLOSING DATE: 1:00pm, November 25, 2020
COMPETITION # SS-2020-102
Multiple Work Locations
37.5 hours per week
Salary starts at $29.29/hr at Step 1 and $32.56/hr at Step 2
**Please note that this position is a new position and is subject to Joint Job Evaluation Review after 6 months. **
Why West Vancouver Schools?
West Vancouver Schools, the premier place for learning, has a long-held reputation for excellence and innovation. Our motto endorses our vision that we aspire to provide the finest educational experience in the country – for our children, our employees, our community and our world. We support this vision in the work we do, and the drive to be the first and best is clear, both inside and outside the organization.
Summary of Duties:
Reporting to the Director of Facilities/ Designate, the Locksmith is responsible for the alteration, repair, maintenance and security of district and site master keying systems (covering doors, filing cabinets, etc.); installs, repairs and replaces hydraulic door closures and panic hardware; and works as a member of a team to ensure the timely resolution of general district Facilities requirements, in accordance with applicable regulations, policies and procedures.
The full job description is available on Inside45 for internal staff. External applicants can request a copy of the job description from the Human Resources Department; email: email@example.com.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, install, documents, and maintains master keying system for district as a whole and component sites; consults on requirements, designs and implements new or revised lock and key combinations; maintains, updates and secures records of lock and key combinations throughout the district
- Installs new locks; fabricates parts, repairs/replaces faulty components, cuts keys, rekeys and repins locks
- Installs, programs, and troubleshoots electronic access control devices and systems
- Reviews key requests; confirms approval and adherence to district standards; issues or rejects as appropriate; and keeps related records
- Operates key-cutter and lock-picking tools, lock installation kits, metal lathe; and other standard maintenance tools
- Prioritizes work and repair requisitions; coordinates and schedules work with classroom availability, other trades, etc.
- Cleans, checks/ confirms operational safety and performs routine maintenance on working equipment on a daily basis
- Monitors inventory, estimates, requisitions or purchases materials and equipment; verifies goods received
- Recommends new/replacement equipment
- Provides technical guidance and assistance to other district staff as required
- Responds to operational emergency situations (including off-hours calls)
- Assists in designing and cost estimating for projects as required
- Assists with or resolves a variety of inter-disciplinary Facilities problems as required
- Install, maintain and repair all types of building hardware such as door closers, panic bars and the like
- Determines, installs, repairs, and replaces hydraulic door closure requirements
- Maintain and repair building security and fire alarms
- May perform a range of carpentry duties, using a variety of equipment
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions in written, diagram or schedule form
- Provide a high level of timely & accurate customer service
- Performs other comparable duties as assigned which are within the area of knowledge and skills required by the job description
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Grade 12 Graduation
- Trades Qualification Certificate as a Journeyman Locksmith recognized by the Province of British Columbia OR an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Knowledge of BC Fire Code and Entry Access
- Minimum 6 months experience with master keying systems and Schlage locks
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Ability to analyze, interpret and use judgement in the resolution of problems
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions
- Good interpersonal and communication (oral) skills
- Skill in the use of computers, preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment, including applicable software such as KeyMaster, Master Keying, or InstaCode, DLS5
- Working knowledge of Digital Control Systems (DDC) and computer networking
- Self-starter with ability to organize daily tasks, work independently and as a member of a team
- Physical ability to perform the assigned duties (including climbing ladders and scaffolds)
- Experience with basic Carpentry preferred
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume via www.makeafuture.ca under West Vancouver Schools. Please note that email and fax applications will not be accepted. Please visit the Job Opportunities page on www.westvancouverschools.ca for more details on the application process.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Successful applicants not currently employed by West Vancouver Schools are required to sign a “consent for Criminal Record Search” to permit a criminal record review.