School District No. 73 (Kamloops-Thompson) is currently accepting applications for the position of WiFi / Video-Conferencing Technician.
The incumbent will coordinate and support the district WIFI point-to-point grid over our wide network (WAN) and site-based local area networks (LAN). In addition, the incumbent will assist the Video Conferencing Technician with scheduling and configuring video conferences (VC), testing audio/video quality with the host location during setup time, and actively managing all aspects of video conferencing infrastructure.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of all district videoconferencing equipment including, but not limited to, bridges, codecs, cameras, computers, and associated peripherals
- In conjunction with the Network Manager plans, organizes and participates in the research, testing and evaluation of WIFI network hardware and software
- In conjunction with the Video Conferencing Technician, organizes, and participates in the research, testing and evaluation of VC hardware and software
- Ensures that systems residing on the WIFI network and the LAN and WAN are maintained and secure
- Maintains documentation on WIFI and VC LAN/WAN systems
- Provides technical and how-to assistance on WIFI and VC systems and services for all District staff
- Performs other related duties as assigned
ABILITIES, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to communicate and maintain effective working relationships with Management, Administrative Officers, Information Technology staff, other employees of the Board and outside agencies
- Working knowledge of H.323 and H.320 networks and similar videoconferencing protocols and standards
- Working knowledge of audio and video in an integrated video conferencing environment
- Comprehensive experience installing, configuring and maintaining Linux/UNIX servers
- Comprehensive understanding of WIFI networking protocols on LAN and WAN deployments particularly unlicensed spectrum frequencies and the regulatory requirements of their use
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Substantial planning, prioritizing, project management and troubleshooting skills
- Substantial organizational, written, verbal and presentation skills
- 2 Year Post Secondary Diploma in Telecommunications or Computer Technology
- Minimum of 2 year supporting video conferencing systems
- Minimum of 2 years supporting WAN point-to-point and LAN WIFI
- Possess a minimum Linux Certification LPI Level II or minimum of three years’ experience working with Unix-based systems (specifically Linux) on Wide Area Networks
- Valid B.C. driver’s licence.