Continuing – Elementary Learning Services Teacher
Position: Continuing – Elementary Learning Services Teacher
Location: Capilano Elementary School
Start/End Dates: Start July 1, 2020
Salary: Salary and Benefits as per the Teachers’ Collective Agreement
NATURE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
Teaching in an IB School, the successful candidate will be supporting students in classrooms (with some pullout) to connect with learning during the transdisciplinary Units of Inquiry and Stand Alone Units. A Capilano LST will offer support for the implementation of goals in IEPs, as well as adapting Approaches to Learning and Approaches to Teaching for students with a variety of learning needs.
• A Bachelor of Education Degree in Elementary Education.
• Successful experience teaching at the Elementary level.
• Masters Degree or Diploma in Special Education.
• Successful completion of a university Level B testing course and related intervention courses.
• Successful experience and demonstrated ability in using Ministry Special Education criteria to set up and implement adapted and modified programs.
• Successful experience and demonstrated ability in creating extensive, individualized education plan for students.
• Demonstrated skill in developing instructional and behavioral strategies to assist classroom teachers.
• Strong communication skills in dealing with parents, teachers and School Based Resource Team members. Knowledge and experience in adapting and or modifying instruction for students who have developmental disabilities such as autism and fetal alcohol spectrum disorders.
• Training and experience with augmentative technology, UKERU, and personal care would be an asset.
GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS, ATTRIBUTES and EXPERIENCE
• Strong commitment to excellence in teaching and demonstrated teaching ability.
• Demonstrated ability to design and implement a variety of assessment practices to measure and monitor student progress effectively.
• Strategies to identify learning difficulties and implement effective intervention to maximize academic success.
• Demonstrated successful experience supporting the success of all learners in an inclusive environment.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Excellent oral communications, written communication, and group facilitation skills.
• Superior work ethic and social emotional competencies, excellent reflective judgment, and commitment to building effective learning communities.
• Comprehensive understanding of curriculum.
• Confidence and proficiency in using instructional organizers, concepts, and strategies that actively engage all students in learning.
• Ability to positively influence instruction, curriculum, assessment, and social-emotional learning practices in a collaborative environment.
• Knowledge and understanding of the application of relevant computer technologies to teaching and learning.
• Willingness to be involved in professional development, with an ongoing commitment to learn and implement new methodologies and strategies.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with students, parents, and staff to enhance the school as a learning community.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
• Possession of a BC Teaching Certificate
• Membership in the BC Teacher Regulation Branch.
• A member of the North Vancouver Teachers’ Association and the BC Teachers’ Federation.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Earnings range from $46,898 - $90,575 per annum for full time work (pro-rated for part time), depending on the TQS category and experience level of the teacher.
Teachers are entitled to a comprehensive benefits package including:
medical, dental, and extended health plans;
group life insurance benefits;
Extended health benefits for dependents of deceased employees;
Accidental disability insurance;
Salary indemnity plan benefit;
Supplemental employment benefits on maternity leave;
Employee and family assistance programs.
NOTE: We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.