The Vancouver Board of Education welcomes applications for:
On-Call Education Assistant
(School & Student Support A)
Working months: September to June each year
Hours: 6.5 hours per day
Salary: $27.93 per hour
+ 18.6% in lieu of benefits
For an overview of the role of an Educational Assistant in the school system, watch this six 6 minute video from the Durham School Board in Ontario.
Responsibilities vary from site to site. Your duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Collecting data and tracking student progress
- Supporting the student to manage their behavior and fostering positive interactions between the student and their peers
- Implement individualized programs and activities while focusing on building independence
- Providing personal care: Dressing, toileting (may include diaper changes), feeding, lifting/transfers (ie. to and from wheelchair)
- Escorting student on community outings and travelling throughout the city. Some Secondary positions require the SSA to accompany and support students on work experience at various sites
- Completion of Grade 12
- Completion of a recognized Post-Secondary Special Education Assistant program, or a Degree/Diploma in a related field, and/or extensive experience in an equivalent field
- Ability to lift and position students of varying weights
- Excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written
- The following are considered to be an asset:
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training (e.g., CPI or MANDT)
- An excellent practicum or work evaluation
- Experience using techniques of Applied Behaviour Analysis
- Completion of POPARD coursework
- Ability to speak a second language
Your application must include:
- Cover letter
- Reports/Evaluations: Recent EA graduates must include all Practicum Reports
- References-names, email and phone number of direct supervisors
- Recent Graduates: Supervisors from all practicums and your most recent employee (5 in total)
- Experienced EAs: current Principal, Vice Principal and previous Administrator and/or your most recent employer
** We do not accept friends or colleagues as references**
**This is an on-call position. Applicants must be available to work throughout the district. You may also be required to go to two locations on the same day (eg. travel to one school in the morning and another school in the afternoon)**
Applicants can also be considered for a School & Student Support B (SSB) position (paid 7 hrs/day with a higher pay rate) if they meet the following criteria:
- Completion of Bachelor’s degree in: Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Child and Youth Care, or Education
- 3 years experience in the following areas:
- Directly working with children or youth who demonstrate a higher need for support in the areas of social-emotional learning, behaviour, learning disabilities, mental health, or complex trauma.
- Assessing and supporting the social, emotional, behavioural, mental health and/or learning needs of students.
- Implementing various behavior support and/or self-regulation programs and modifying intervention strategies for students with diverse needs.
- Working with students exhibiting challenging behaviours, FAS, conduct disorders and implementing various learning and behavior management strategies.
- Planning and effectively carrying out activities to promote student development.
**This posting is ongoing until filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Please note, only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted**
The District welcomes qualified applicants who value equity and
diversity as essential to excellence. The distinct makeup of the VSB community
strives to support the inclusion of all voices. You may wish to share
some lived experiences that demonstrate your connections to our diverse student
MAKE A FUTURE APPLICATION PROCESS
- If you do not have a profile on Make a Future, please create a profile under the category, “ECE, EA/TA/ERW, Clerical, Secretarial, Administrative, Custodians, etc.”
- Once you have created your profile click "apply now". You will then be able to apply and upload any supporting documents to the competition and answer the job posting questions.
- You will automatically receive an email from this website letting you know your application to the competition has been received