School District 8 (Kootenay Lake) is nestled in the Southeast corner of British Columbia. We are a vibrant area, covering 6 "families of schools" in the centres of Creston, Crawford Bay, Kaslo/Meadow Creek, Nelson, Salmo, and the Slocan Valley. Our area is beautiful, vibrant, a fantastic place to raise children, has a world-renowned Arts and Entertainment community, and easily accesses a variety of amazing outdoor pursuits.
Our FOCUS.LEARN.EXCEL philosophy and our Board of Education's Learning Goals of: Literacy, Numeracy, Indigenization and Inclusion guide our practice with our students. We focus on excellence for all learners in a nurturing environment.
School District #8 (Kootenay Lake) has a vacancy for a 1.0 FTE Term Kindergarten to Grade 8 Prep: Arts, French and Science Teacher due to a leave. This position will go until February 28, 2021 or until the return of the incumbent, whichever comes later.
J. V. Humphries is looking for a flexible, enthusiastic teacher with a passion for the arts, French and collaborative learning.
This position can be adapted to the strengths of the applicant, as it is a prep position, with two full days in our grade 6/7 class.
We are looking for an educator with excellent classroom management skills, an understanding of trauma informed school practices and expertise in differentiated teaching methods.
The awarded applicant will have recent, successful experience in a K-12 school with strong community connections. They will be able to work closely with the school-based team, and will be knowledgeable and able to work effectively with students who have learning and/or behaviour challenges.
The awarded applicant will be collaborative, innovative, creative, and demonstrate an understanding of the Redesigned BC curriculum and School District No. 8’s student goals. They will be a person who is continually striving to improve pedagogy in a changing educational environment.
The awarded applicant will:
• have recent demonstrated successful experience working in an elementary music setting
• be able to work closely with the school based team
• be knowledgeable and able to work appropriately with young students who have learning and/or behavior challenges
• be familiar with current assessment and reporting pedagogy to support learning
The awarded applicant will be musical, innovative, creative, team worker, self-motivated and demonstrate understanding of the BC Curriculum and the district directions. He/she will be a person who is continually striving to improve pedagogy in a changing educational environment.
• Bachelor of Education (Elementary) with a music major and/or music classroom or Special Education/Learning Support or French or practicum experience
• A valid BC teaching certificate and current membership in the Teacher Regulation Branch.
• Recently demonstrated successful experience working at the Elementary level K-7
• Recently demonstrated experiences working in a blended instruction model – online and in class.
• Recently demonstrated excellent classroom management skills, organization and communication skills
Teachers applying for this position must possess the following attributes:
• Willingness to work closely with students, parents/guardians, colleagues, and the community
• Excellent classroom management skills
• Knowledge and recent successful experience with literacy and numeracy programs
• Knowledge of current instructional practices and new curriculum including inclusion models of support
• Strong interpersonal communication and collaboration skills
• Proficiency and current use of technologies to enhance and personalize learning (GSuite)
• Knowledge of current pedagogy on teaching reading in a multi-grade classroom
• Good organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to be flexible
For more information, please contact Principal Victoria McAllister at email@example.com
Please ensure that all applicable documents are uploaded including a recent Teacher Report.
School District 8 supports equity hiring for Indigenous applicants.
*If you are experiencing any technical issues with your application
process to contact Make A Future's customer service line as HR cannot
upload or assist with these types of issues. We also cannot accept
documents via email such as cover letters/resumes/transcripts/teaching
reports via email as they do need to be part of the employee's Make a