POSITION NOTES: 40 hours per week
DEPARTMENT: Facility Services
REPORTS TO: General Manager, Facility Services
With minimal direction the locksmith performs the installation, maintenance, repair and record keeping of locking/keying systems. The locksmith works cooperatively with other employees, and the public.
• Recommends, establishes and maintains master keying systems for new and existing sites.
• Maintains and keeps accurate records of all district locking/keying systems.
• Prepares estimates for labour and material costs associated with projects, utilizing provided data.
• Issues keys and maintains records of keys issued and returned.
• Prepares door and hardware schedules.
• Repairs, adjusts, services and installs lock sets and door hardware.
• Orders parts and material as required.
• Reports work completed including time and materials used.
• Advises and assists other employees as appropriate.
• Maintains a clean, safe work environment.
• Performs other maintenance related or emergent duties.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY, SKILLS:
• Completion of Grade 12
• Valid provincial certificate of qualification as a Locksmith Journeyperson.
• Minimum of 5 years experience as a Journey person.
• Thorough knowledge of Master Keying systems, door closures and associated hardware.
• Valid B.C. Class 5 Driver’s License.
• Knowledge of health and safety procedures, including Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System and WorkSafeBC regulations.
• Knowledge of building, fire and electrical codes to determine compliance.
• Intermediate knowledge of computerized systems.
• Experience in construction an asset.
• Ability to plan and schedule work and organize the workload effectively.
• Competent in the use and care of tools and equipment common to this trade.
• Ability to maintain close attention to detail.
• Ability to use courtesy and tact in the explanation of and discussion of information in contact with students, suppliers and other staff.
• Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to perform individually and as part of a team.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED (Locksmith)
Hand tools, power tools, air tools, truck, and other locksmith’s equipment.
• Sufficient vision to perform duties of a locksmith.
• Fundamental ability to use the tools and equipment of the trade.
• Physical ability to perform all duties of the trade.