A temporary full time (1.0) Indigenous Culture and Language Teacher is required by School District No. 60 (Peace River North) effective September 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022. The assignment will be at the Indigenous Education Centre.
Qualifications and Experience
- Strong background in Indigenous Peoples' prehistory, culture, and
contemporary life/issues through considerable personal life experience
and coursework in Indigenous Education and/or First Nations Studies
knowledge of the educational teaching approaches, including;
outdoor/place - based learning, UDL, Elder teachings and Indigenous ways
- Proven ability to work successfully within a collaborative design (working with school staff, school-based principals, Indigenous Education Coordinator(s) and other district and ministerial staff
- Oral and written fluency in an Indigenous language would be an asset
- Qualifications and demonstrated ability to teach Indigenous curriculum at the K-12 school level
- Have successful experience working in a classroom
- Be able to produce: lesson and unit plans, overviews and organize culturally appropriate resources for classroom teachers
- Be able to assess, evaluate and give feedback to students, parents or communities and Indigenous Education Advisory Council
- Connect and interact with
Indigenous families and the Indigenous communities by participating in
various cultural activities and gatherings.
- Model approaches, co-teach and
collaborate with teaching and support staff in order to support Indigenous students in their learning and to include First
Nations, Metis, and Inuit knowledge and culture in the curriculum.
- Must be proficient around
technology including but not limited to; excel, google programs, Apple/PC computer(s) and multimedia products
interpersonal, organizational and collaborative problem-solving skills
as demonstrated by the ability to relate well with students, parents,
Indigenous community, and staff members.
- Applicants must have training and experience teaching Indigenous "BC new curriculum" at levels noted above
Interested applicants are required to supply
- Three (3) references
- Verification of qualifications (BC Teacher Certificate)
- $2000 relocation allowance for teacher from BC, AB and Yukon and up to $4000 for teachers from other areas
- $2,622 recruitment allowance (paid over 10 months of the school year, based on the FTE)
- Salary as per collective agreement. Current salary grid is $50,623 - $95,897
- Benefits as per collective agreement with option to enroll in medical, dental, extended health, and group life insurance. Benefits are employer paid based on FTE
For more information please contact:
Pat Jansen, District Principal, Indigenous Education Centre 250-785-8324 or email@example.com
All applications with relevant documentation must be made through
Make A Future for consideration for the position
About School District 60
School District 60 is noted for innovative educational practices and excellent cooperative relationships between all educational partners. Our district is made up of dedicated, energetic professionals for whom the achievement and well-being of their students is a first priority. Together we challenge, encourage and support all learners to be responsible for developing their abilities with respect for self, others and the environment.
School District 60 is progressive and growing. There are 23 schools in School District No. 60 (Peace River North). The district's schools provide education services to approximately 6000 ethnically and demographically diverse students.
School District 60 is located on the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains in the northern tip of the Canadian Prairies in beautiful Fort St. John, BC. Fort St John is 478 km northeast of Prince George and 1,237 km north of Vancouver, situated near the border with neighbouring Alberta, 214 km west of Grande Prairie, Alberta. The region's economy is prosperous and expanding. Fort St John is a city for all seasons and year-round playground for those who like pristine wilderness, an active lifestyle, cosmopolitan city life and the enthusiasm of an energetic community.
School District No. 60 (Fort St John)
10112 105 Avenue, Fort St John, BC V1J 4S4