School District No. 6 (Rocky Mountain)
CUPE Local 440
Golden Secondary School - EXTERNAL
Intervenor - #CG21-14
Wednesday, June 2, 2021
School District No. 6 (Rocky Mountain) is now accepting applications for a temporary, full-time (35 hrs/wk) Intervenor at Golden Secondary School. This role is effective September 1, 2021 – October 15, 2021 or until the return of the incumbent.
The Intervenor is a member of a school or district team who participates in the development and delivery of support services to individuals or small group(s) of students under the supervision of a Teacher or Principal and in a manner that reflects the District’s policy regarding inclusion.
Examples of Work
Since the nature of employment for every Intervenor varies with the unique needs of students, specific duties will be assigned by the Principal or District Administrator. These duties may include:
- Performing interpretation services;
- Assisting teacher by tutoring student(s);
- Facilitating communication utilizing sign, Unified English Braille etc, as required;
- Preparing and modifying specialized training materials;
- Assisting in the development of strategies to achieve academic, behavioral and social goals;
- Monitoring and recording student progress and completing required forms;
- Monitoring student behavior to ensure the safety of the student(s);
- Communicating with and contributing to an integrated case management team to plan, implement, and review student progress;
- Assisting with delivery of medical procedures, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and speech programs as prescribed by professionals;
- Supervising student(s) on school outings;
- Assisting students with personal care needs (i.e. toileting, dressing, eating, administering medication, mobility, communicating and facilitating participation in activities);
- Working with assistive technologies, including computers and Windows platforms, peripherals and a variety of software applications (i.e. Mountbatten Brailler, Romeo Braille Printer, OCR software, Flipper Port, Optelec, Kurzweil, JAWS software; Soundfield Systems, Personal FM Systems)
- Behaving in a manner that respects the sensitivity and confidentiality of all information related to staff and students.
- Additional training in supporting students with Autism or other specific special needs may be required.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Demonstrates a genuine interest in and understanding of students.
- Demonstrates initiative and the ability to work with limited supervision.
- Demonstrates a high level of adaptability and responsibility.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills.
- Maintains a flexible and cooperative manner.
- Exhibits a mature and positive attitude and models appropriate behavior.
- Proficiency in American Sign Language including the ability to adjust to the signing, education and communication levels required.
- Proficiency in Unified English Braille.
- Proficiency with augmentative hearing technologies.
Required Training, Experience and Certification
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Appropriate post secondary training, from a recognized program in the field employed: Deaf/Blind intervention training.
- Recent training in Advanced Intervention and O & M from the Provincial Deafblind Outreach Team;
- Successful experience working with students with special needs.
Rate of Pay
As per the Collective Agreement 440
For further information, please contact Kelsey Doolaar, Principal, GSS - 250-344-2201.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, along with two (2) references who have supervised you, quoting competition #CG21-14 by Friday, June 18, 2021 at 4:00 pm (MST) to:
School District No.6 (Rocky Mountain)
Fax: (250) 342-6966 e-mail: email@example.com