“An innovative, inspiring and unified learning community”
The Langley School District invites applications for casual/temporary Career Advisors for up to 35 hours/week while school is in session. Reporting to the Director of Instruction, the Career Advisor performs a variety of functions related to providing information, assistance and experience to students exploring post-secondary education/career options. The Career Advisor assists students to participate in a variety of opportunities that will support them to develop well-informed career plans.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Provides information and resources for students, staff, and parents on career development and post-secondary requirements, exploration/ training opportunities, work experience placements, and job seeking skills.
- Guides and assists students with their career planning and development by assisting students to develop career and educational plans, explore occupations, and access post-secondary programs
- Supports staff to provide information to students and parents regarding trades, apprenticeship, and secondary school apprenticeship programs and assists students interested in applying for programs such as School Apprenticeship (SSA), Work Experience (WEX), Accelerated Credit Enrollment in Industry Training (ACE IT) and post-secondary transition programs (XCEL)
- Provides support and assistance to staff involved in work experience by maintaining records, liaising with employers once placements are arranged, and collecting feedback from students and employers.
- Assists students, individually or in groups, to access career and education information manually and through computer assisted career guidance programs.
- Provides assistance and coaching to students related to job seeking skills such as interview techniques, resume writing, cover letters, portfolio development, effective job search strategies and workplace conduct.
- Assists staff in organizing events such as guest speakers, field trips, career events etc.
- Keeps current with developments in the fields of career opportunities and education in order to provide information for students, staff, and parents.
Required qualifications and experience include:
- Grade 12 graduation and completion of a High School Career Centre Advising course or equivalent related education.One year of related experience.
- Good understanding of career development and planning processes.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and relate well with students.
- Ability to access and use career-related resources (such as Blueprint for Life/Work Designs).
- Ability to use labour market information to meet students’ needs.
- Good understanding of the concepts of employability and job search skills.
- Good knowledge of post-secondary institutions, BC trades and technical training options.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with all internal and external contacts.
- Ability to organize and present career and program information to a variety of groups and individuals.
- Ability to effectively use computer software applications such as student information systems, word processing, presentation software, database management, and spreadsheets.
Rate of pay is $24.39 per hour
Qualified individuals must submit a complete application through the Make a Future job board at the following link:
Note that applicants must open an account and apply to the appropriate posting.
Please include the following documents in your application package:
- Cover letter
- Resumé, including names and email addresses of at least 3 references (must be current/former supervisors)
- High school diploma (e.g., Dogwood) or high school transcript confirming Grade 12 graduation
- Documentation to support completion of career advising course work
The District appreciates the interest of all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The successful applicant will be subject to a criminal records check.
If you have questions or require assistance with this application process, please contact the Customer Care department at MakeAFuture at 1 866 806 6851 or email@example.com