PROJECT MANAGER - FACILITIES
The Vancouver Board of Education is seeking a seasoned and skilled Project Manager to implement over one billion dollars in capital projects over the next decade.
The Vancouver Board of Education is an exciting, progressive and dynamic school district offering a wide range of educational opportunities for more than 50,000 learners from kindergarten to adults. We have an excellent reputation as being diverse and inclusive, and for providing outstanding, student-centered, choice programs. The School District has almost 8,000 employees, 112 schools, a $500 million operating budget, and many major capital projects in the Long Term Plan.
The Vancouver Board of Education, in partnership with the Ministry of Education, plans to upgrade all of its high seismic risk schools. There are numerous projects currently in design and construction with many more to proceed with the preparation of the Project Definition Reports or feasibility studies required to secure capital funding for the projects.
The Project Manager will be responsible for managing the planning, implementation and completion of major capital projects ranging in values from $10M to $100M. This is project management work involving technical, contractual, planning and financial activities required for capital project delivery. The work involves applying project management and technical knowledge to new school construction and major seismic renovation projects, while integrating long-term maintenance considerations and budget limitations. The Project Manager negotiates fees and construction costs, directs activities of architects, consultants, contractors and liaises with school administrators on behalf of the school board. Financial recordkeeping of individual projects on the computer is required. The employee exercises considerable independence of judgement and action in order to maintain the project budget and schedule for several projects simultaneously.
- Manages production of contract documentation and administers contracts including correspondence, plans and specifications, approval documentation, notices of changes, change orders, contractual notices and invoices.
- Liaises with architects, consultants, contractors, municipal authorities and school administrators to ensure that the interest and needs of the school board are reflected in the final project.
- Supervises additional staff as required.
- Participates in a consultative process with facility users, designers, and senior management during the planning phase of projects.
- Prepares funding submissions to the ministry, project cost estimates, and project schedules.
- Manages assigned projects from start to completion ensuring legislative and contract compliance for satisfactory project completion.
- Carries out regular field reviews of contract progress to ensure general conformance with the contract documents and prepares progress reports. Ensures satisfactory contractor performance; directs the change order process.
- Ensures satisfactory project completion within the authorized budget.
- Provides computerized financial recordkeeping of ongoing projects by reviewing and approving invoices, preparing and maintaining detailed project cost reports showing commitments, expenditures and available or received funding. Prepares design aid sheets for existing buildings and proposed projects.
- Manages contract and legal dispute processes as required. Provides dispute and claims resolution advice for senior management on legal claims issues. Resolves contractual issues up to designated level. Recommends and carries out contract termination in cases of unsatisfactory performance.
Required Knowledge and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of construction contract law, CCDC documents, CCAC documents, public tendering practicing, bonding and surety, bid depository rules and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of up-to-date building technology for architectural, mechanical, electrical and structural disciplines. Thorough knowledge of materials and methods used in building construction. Considerable knowledge of contracting practices, sub trade management and C.P.M. project scheduling.
- Ability to read and understand drawings and specifications.
- Ability to recognize errors, deficiencies and faulty workmanship of designers and contractors.
- Ability to develop, implement and maintain detailed Critical Path schedules.
- Ability to effectively utilize Windows computers including word processing, spreadsheets, database and communications software.
- Ability to communicate effectively and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, school and maintenance staff, consultants, city inspectors and others.
- Ability to provide technical information and advice in matters relating to major projects.
- Ability to aggressively ensure that projects are completed on budget and on schedule.
Required Education and Experience
- Graduation in Engineering, Construction Management, or Architecture with minimum five years supervisory project experience, or Registered Quantity Surveyor with minimum five years project management experience.
Required Licenses, Certificates and Registrations
- Eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer, PMP, Architect, or as an Applied Science Technologist in an appropriate discipline.
- Valid BC Driver’s License. (Business use of personal vehicle will be required)
To apply for this position:
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application to this competition along with three references from previous supervisors. This position will remain opened until filled.
- If you do not have a profile on Make a Future please create a profile to apply for management positions.
- Once you have created your profile then, while you are logged in, please search this ad again and click the "apply now" button at the end of this ad. You will then be able to apply and upload any supporting documents to the competition and answer the job posting questions.
- You will automatically receive an email from this website letting you know your application to the competition has been received. Please include with your online application, your resume and three professional references.