Central Okanagan Public Schools (School District No. 23), Kelowna BC, provides education services to 23,000 students in the communities of Peachland, West Kelowna, Kelowna, Lake Country and the Regional District of Central Okanagan. We invite applications for the position of:
FULL-TIME PAYROLL AND BENEFITS CLERK - LEAD
Under the general direction of the Assistant Payroll Manager, provide a full range of payroll and benefit services to employees within the District. Directly responsible for the accurate and timely operation of the Payroll/Human Resources Support Services function and provide supervision to the staff involved.
Applicants must have:
- completed Grade 12 (Senior Secondary School Graduation);
- Canadian Payroll Compliance Practitioner Certificate;
- four (4) years recent experience preparing, processing and maintaining a variety of payroll and benefits packages in a med-large organization;
- working knowledge of major payroll software programs;
- demonstrated ability to supervise and co-ordinate staff;
- demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with all District employees, and various Government departments and benefit carriers;
- excellent working knowledge of payroll records and procedures;
- excellent organizational skills to ensure that work is performed in a logical sequence to provide accuracy within established time frames;
- an ability to consistently meet a demanding workload with mandatory deadlines in this service-oriented department;
- knowledge and experience with data entry/keyboarding;
- knowledge and experience with word processing skills - Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel) as well as Sharepoint/Outlook;
- be a self-starter and be able to work with minimal supervision;
- work well within a team environment;
- support the interpretation of the collective agreements and employee contracts as it relates to the Payroll/HRS function;
- understand how the payroll system integrates with the accounting system.
Applicants will be expected to:
- maintain a high quality of work including accuracy and dependability;
- have excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- maintain excellent interpersonal skills;
- maintain confidentiality.
The following would be considered an asset:
- actively pursuing a CPM certification
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) unionized position offering a wage rate of $27.28 per hour, plus a comprehensive employee benefit package including extended health and dental coverage, short-term and long-term disability insurance and participation in a defined benefit pension plan. This position is subject to job evaluation.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply online complete with cover letter, resume outlining relevant background, work experience, and 3 references.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.