POSTED: November 18, 2020
CLOSING DATE: 1:00pm, November 25, 2020
COMPETITION # SS-2020-103
Multiple Work Locations
37.5 hours per week
Salary starts at $29.29/hr at Step 1 and $32.56/hr at Step 2
Why West Vancouver Schools?
West Vancouver Schools, the premier place for learning, has a long-held reputation for excellence and innovation. Our motto endorses our vision that we aspire to provide the finest educational experience in the country – for our children, our employees, our community and our world. We support this vision in the work we do, and the drive to be the first and best is clear, both inside and outside the organization.
Summary of Duties:
Reporting to the Director of Facilities/ Designate, the Carpenter is responsible for the full range of carpentry work throughout the district including new construction, renovation/ alteration and maintenance of buildings and structures; and working as a member of a team to ensure the timely resolution of general district Facilities requirements, in accordance with applicable regulations, policies and procedures.
The full job description is available on Inside45 for internal staff. External applicants can request a copy of the job description from the Human Resources Department; email: email@example.com.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- plans project layout ( from inspections, drawings, specifications, blueprints); determines requirements (labour, materials);initiates building inspections as required
- prepares site by relocating and securing furniture/computers, etc.; tearing down and removing existing structures as required (e.g. including cabinets, walls, floors, insulation, masonry);erecting scaffolding, barricades, etc.
- performs structural carpentry work including concrete forms, siding, insulation, installing T-bar ceilings, erecting framework(including playground structures), etc.
- works in shop to construct new mill work/cabinet work including mouldings, jambs/casings, windows, display podiums, computer tables, etc.; laminates counter/desk tops
- performs finishing carpentry work including installing cabinets/trim, doors, mouldings, door locks, as well as stripping/preparing furniture for refinishing, etc.
- measures, calculates elevations and loads, lays-out, saws, glues, assembles and installs using a variety of materials(i.e. wood, plastic, metal)
- repairs, replaces and installs new chalkboards and rails, pinboards, etc.; applies suitable materials (e.g. vinyl or acoustical carpeting)
- installs and repairs linoleum, carpets and cove-base
- installs glass (e.g. windows, doors);installs drywall board; tapes, fills and sands
- identifies major carpentry concerns and recommends options
- prioritizes work and repair requisitions; coordinates and schedules work with classroom availability, other trades, etc.
- cleans, checks/ confirms operational safety and performs routine maintenance on working equipment on a daily basis; performs minor repairs on equipment
- estimates, requisitions or purchases materials and equipment; verifies goods received
- recommends new/ replacement equipment
- provides technical guidance and assistance to other district staff as required
- responds to operational emergency situations (including off-hours calls)
- loads, transports and delivers equipment and materials to and from sites
- assists in designing and cost estimating for projects as required
- assists with or resolves a variety of inter-disciplinary Facilities problems as required
- ·operates fixed and portable saws, shaper, pneumatic nailers, power and thickness planers, hilti guns, transit; and other standard maintenance tools
- performs other comparable duties as assigned which are within the area of knowledge and skills required by the job description
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Grade 12 Graduation
- Certification as a Journeyman Carpenter
- Minimum 2 years experience at the journeyman level performing a full range of duties
- Valid BC Drivers Licence
- Ability to analyse, interpret and use judgement in the resolution of problems
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions
- Good interpersonal and communication (oral) skills
- Demonstrated ability in a variety of functions within the construction industry
- Self-starter with ability to organize daily tasks, work independently and as a member of a team
- Physical ability to perform the assigned duties (including climbing ladders and scaffolds)
OR an equivalent combination of training and experience
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume via www.makeafuture.ca under West Vancouver Schools. Please note that email and fax applications will not be accepted. Please visit the Job Opportunities page on www.westvancouverschools.ca for more details on the application process.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Successful applicants not currently employed by West Vancouver Schools are required to sign a “consent for Criminal Record Search” to permit a criminal record review.