Applications will be received by:
School District No. 52 (Prince Rupert) is located within traditional Ts’msyen Territory on the beautiful north coast of B.C. and services the small communities of Hartley Bay and Port Edward in addition to the City of Prince Rupert. Currently we have one secondary school, one middle school, five elementary schools, one store-front site and one “on reserve” school (Hartley Bay, K-12). Our student population is approximately 2,000 students, 60% of which are aboriginal.
Our small community boasts an excellent recreation facility (ice arena, swimming pool and gymnasium), an 18-hole golf course, racquet centre, tennis court, museum and a 700-seat performing art centre.
School District No. 52 is an exhilarating place to work where new ideas and opportunities are embraced. School District No. 52 has often been described as “cutting edge” in terms of instruction and assessment practices and is well known for the forward thinking work of the Aboriginal Education and Support Services Department and their initiative and involvement in many projects.
School District No. 52 has the following opportunity:
LEARNING SERVICES TEACHER (LST)
- a certificate of qualification issued under the Teachers Act
- a Bachelor of Education or equivalent;
- a thorough knowledge and understanding of local Aboriginal culture, history, and communities;
- willingness to integrate appropriate Aboriginal content and resources into educational programs;
- excellent interpersonal skills;
- demonstrated strong classroom management skills;
- willingness to integrate appropriate technologies into educational programs;
- the demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with teaching and non-teaching staff and parents/guardians;
- be willing to work collaboratively on a team that is committed to the principles of a learner-focused education system;
- willingness to work collaboratively toward improving student achievement by actively supporting the strategies and structures in the School Improvement Plans, the District (Aboriginal Education) Partnership Agreement, and the District Framework for Enhancing Student Learning (formerly known as the Achievement Plan)
- Degree or diploma in Special Education;
- Training to administer level B student assessment instruments;
- Academic training and experience in the planning and delivery of programs to students with a range of exceptionality including at least three of Mild Intellectual Disabilities, Moderate to Profound Intellectual Disabilities, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Physically Dependent or Physical Disability or Chronic Health Impairment or other designation recognized by the Ministry of Education;
- Demonstrated readiness and ability to facilitate the Individual Education Plan planning and delivery process working with the school based team and enrolling teachers in the school;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively on the planning and delivery of a teacher assistant program with enrolling classrooms;
- Ability to make use of computer technology to support the learning of exceptional learners;
- Superior ability to work effectively to meet the diverse behavioral and emotional needs of students;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with parents, enrolling teachers, and the school based team in the planning and delivery of special needs programs;
- Ability to work effectively on the planning and delivery of a teacher assistant program within enrolling classrooms;
- Recent successful teaching experience and/or training at the elementary, intermediate, and/or secondary level;
- Recent ESL/ESD teaching experience and/or training and experience with Aboriginal learners is an asset;
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the learning needs of Aboriginal learners and incorporating/connecting culturally relevant content and resources into program and services;
- Appropriate background, demonstrated ability and willingness to collaborate and participate in "co-teaching" with classroom teachers;
- Willingness to participate in district-wide primary programs: POPS (Parents of Primary Students)
NOTE: Applicants who are currently enrolled in a diploma or master's program in special education and committed to a timely program completion may also be considered.
We are appreciate all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in our school district!