We are currently accepting applications for Education Assistant with Braille Certification
Under the general supervision of Principal or designate, provides a range of services for students with special needs which include personal care, behaviour support and assistance with educational programs.
- Assists in implementation of instructional programs for designated students by monitoring, observing, recording and reporting on behaviourial, learning and personal patterns.
- Assists students, individually and in small groups, with learning activities and/or independent study projects.
- Assists with supervision of individual or small groups of students, during the temporary absence of teacher.
- Supports learning and skill development activities in worksite and community-based settings.
- Assists professional staff to adapt/modify curriculum and resource material and adapts strategies to accommodate individual learner needs/styles.
- Observes and documents learner strengths, achievements and needs through daily learning activities. Assists in the collection of data and maintaining student records for the purpose of evaluating student progress. Provides information to teacher for home/school formal/informal communications.
- Provides behaviour support and, when necessary, applies physical restraint following the District’s policies and procedures.
- Carries out personal and health care plan as directed.
- supports occupational and physical therapists, including feeding, dressing and undressing, toileting, cleaning or washing child or clothing and lifting into and out of wheelchairs, buses and cars.
- Supports speech-language pathologists, vision and hearing impaired specialists and nurses in the delivery of required services.
- follows established protocol regarding administration of medicine and/or medical procedures.
- assists with the physical safety of students and assists them with crutches or equipment, at and in the swimming pool and during exercise or play activities.
- operates, services, adjusts, and sanitizes specialized personal and medical care equipment.
- Prepares classroom and plans activities by gathering resources, including organizing and participating in field trips.
- Operates or assists students in the operation of personal computers and other specialized instructional equipment/technology.
- Communicates with students using sign language, Braille or other specialized skills as required.
- Participates in meetings, planning and liaison with parents, District staff and health professionals, as directed.
- May, on occasion, be required to perform other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduation or the equivalent.
- Successful completion of a program equivalent to the VIU Special Education Assistant certification, including two 105 hour practicums, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Braille Certification or currently working towards certification.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated skills in basic behaviour management.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain respect for and from students.
- Ability to keep accurate records.
- Knowledge of sign language and/or Braille.
- Physical capability to perform the job duties.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information seen or heard.
Application packages for this position include:
- A detailed personal resume and professional profile which clearly demonstrates related qualifications
- Names and addresses of three references who are familiar with your professional performance and with permission to contact other persons for employment reference purposes
How to apply:
Please apply via www.makeafuture.ca/nanaimo-ladysmith
Please note to submit your application to the actual job posting you must click onto the job posting, then click the “APPLY” button.