A Great Place to Learn!
*this posting doesn't necessarily indicate a vacancy, but allows you to apply to a position.
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the teacher/administrator, the incumbent will tutor students, modify and prepare specialized teaching materials, compile and update student records and monitor student behaviour. Supervisory duties may also include noon hour and bus supervision as required.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide student assistance including assisting the teacher by tutoring individual students or small groups, facilitate communication utilizing sign, Braille, etc., (if required) and prepare and modify specialized teaching materials.
- Maintain student records including assisting in development of strategies to achieve academic, behavioural and social goals. Monitor and record student progress.
- Student supervision including monitoring student behaviour to ensure safety of the student and preventing students from hurting others. Assist in minor first aid and complete required forms.
- Communicate with students, staff and others and provide information of a detailed or specialized nature. Encourage, secure cooperation and influence students to achieve social, academic and behavioural goals.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Six (6) months relevant training which includes recent Okanagan College Education Assistant certificate, or equivalent education, (eg., similar to a 450 hour post-secondary EA program) including practicum experience or training in dealing with resistant students and conflict resolution.
- Familiarity with current computer programs such as Boardmaker, Intellitools, Clicker, Kurzweil, etc.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proven ability to learn and successfully use new technology and to possess literacy, numeracy, and English skills.
- Proven ability to develop rapport with students and work in a team setting.
- Personal attributes required include strong interpersonal skills, initiative, flexibility and good communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
This is a unionized position, CUPE Local 5523 and the hourly rate of pay is $24.79 plus a percentage in lieu of vacation and statutory holiday pay.
While all applicants will be considered, preference will be given to qualified applicants who self-declare Indigenous ancestry.