New Westminster Schools Career Opportunity
Following the recent promotion of the Associate Superintendent to the position of Superintendent of Schools, New Westminster Schools is seeking a collaborative leader to serve as Associate Superintendent.
Working with and reporting to the Superintendent, the Associate Superintendent will join a leadership team that is committed to the principle of continuous improvement and excellence in creating and maintaining a robust learning community.
About New Westminster Schools
New Westminster is located in the center of Metro Vancouver between the larger communities of Burnaby, Coquitlam, Surrey, and Richmond. Despite its location, the city is relatively small and has retained a strong sense of history and community. The total population is approximately 70,000 and is expected to grow to 84,000 by 2021. District schools are, in general, fully subscribed, and a modest increase in student enrolment is expected over the next few years.
The student population is reflective of the city’s population, with a full range of social and cultural backgrounds forming a diverse presence in our schools.
- Approximately 6,385 students in the K-12 system, made up of:
- 311 Aboriginal students;
- 1,051 English Language Learner (ELL) students;
- 993 French Immersion students; and,
- 538 students with identified Special Needs.
- 12 schools; 8 elementary, 3 middle and 1 secondary
New Westminster School District has a rich tapestry of cultures, backgrounds and needs. Together, we are a caring, inclusive, and committed learning community dedicated to supporting each of our unique learners.
About the candidate
- Have a proven record of outstanding educational leadership
- Be a visionary and action-oriented leader who will build a shared vision of the future
- Be knowledgeable of child and adolescent development and of K-12 curriculum development, implementation and evaluation
- Have the expertise in the school improvement process including data analysis, goal setting, action-plan development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation
- Be committed to the welfare and development of all individuals of the learning community
- Be a caring and motivational team builder who possesses effective communication, collaboration, and facilitation skills
- Possess the ability and desire to work with civic and business leaders in strengthening support for and relations with the district
- Demonstrate high ethics, flexibility, and accountability
- Have the ability to supervise people and manage multiple initiatives
- Researches innovative educational practices and presents to stakeholders
- Master’s degree in education with emphasis in teaching and learning or related field.
- Holds or is eligible for teaching certification in the Province of British Columbia.
- Broad-based, successful experience in K-12 leadership roles, including that of principal or district level leadership positions
- Demonstrated leadership and teamwork in the delivery of district programs.
- Superior communication and conflict resolution skills.
Submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and a list of five recent professional references in one single PDF document to:
Director of Human Resources
Candidates who have questions are invited to contact Karim Hachlaf at 604.517.6160
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found, however applications received prior to April 23, 2018 will be assured of full consideration. Duties will commence August 1, 2018 or sooner if practical.