Manager, Human Resources
Health and Wellness
Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools, together with families and communities, enable all students to become life‐long learners and productive, caring citizens by providing inclusive, challenging and engaging educational opportunities through the continuous improvements of instruction and supports for learning.
Reporting to the Director of Labour Relations, the Manager, Human Resources ‐ Health & Wellness works collaboratively with employees, the management team, principals, unions, health care professionals, insurance providers and others to evaluate medical information and implement recovery and return‐to‐work and stay‐at‐work plans.
This key incumbent obtains and manages confidential employee information; develops and implements return to work plans; coordinates appropriate medical and disability accommodations; liaises with health care providers and stakeholders as required and assists employees and their supervisors with attendance management programs.
Managing a varied and complex caseload in an effective and timely manner will be paramount to employees’ effective and timely recovery and return to work plans. This involves communication and planning with care providers, monitoring the progress of the employee, communicating and collaborating with managers and union representatives. You will provide education, advice, and guidance on best practices to the management team, principals, employee groups and unions on case management and attendance management processes and applicable legislation. To support the health and wellness of employees, you will develop reliable processes and documentation, arrange, and coordinate suitable medical assessments, treatment programs and other supporting initiatives. In addition, you will oversee and promote wellness programs such as the Employee and Family Assistance Program.
Your Experience, Education and Skills
- Two-year Diploma in Disability Management, Health Care or a related discipline; Professional NIDMAR designation or comparable health related designation is preferred
- Minimum of five years of experience, preferably in a unionized environment
- Strong knowledge of best practices and applicable legislation in the areas of disability management, accommodation, undue hardship, attendance management, workers’ compensation, and wellness;
- Proven ability to make independent and sound decisions by assessing medical and supporting information that supports employees health and wellness
- Exceptional interpersonal and effective relationship building skills; team player, proven ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong organization and prioritization skills coupled with excellent business, technical and writing abilities
Work, Live & Play in Nanaimo!
Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools employs more than 2,000 professionals, all committed to the education of our nearly 14,000 students. All members of our staff are integral to our excellent education system & our positive workplaces, supporting our district goals of: meeting each student's unique needs, continuous improvement of instruction and assessment and enhanced facilities for learning.
Nanaimo is centrally located on the east coast of Vancouver Island. We boast the best climate in Canada, are surrounded by some of the most beautiful wilderness in the world and enjoy excellent year‐round recreational & cultural amenities. As a hub city, we have ready access to all of Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands and the Lower Mainland. Learn more about who we are and what we offer on our website at www.sd68.bc.ca.
Job Description: https://www.sd68.bc.ca/documents/2021/02/health-wellness-manager-job-description.pdf/
The competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Applications received prior to 4:00pm on Wednesday, March 3, 2021 will be assured careful consideration.
Please apply via www.makeafuture.ca/nanaimo‐ladysmith.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted