SUPERVISOR – BUDGETING & FORECASTING
The Vancouver Board of Education invites applications for a Finance Supervisor of Capital Projects for Vancouver Project Office (VPO).
General Job Description:
- Developing and implementing policy & procedures for the Vancouver Project Office related to the financial management and project controls for VPO-managed capital projects
- Working with VSB Finance and VSB Procurement counterparts to ensure alignment of VPO policies & procedures with VSB-wide policies, or to secure VSB approval for VPO-specific departures therefrom
- Working with VPO Project Managers to establish the control budget setting and forecasted cost at completion process for VPO-managed capital projects
- Tracking, analyzing, interpreting and communicating variances against established control budgets for VPO-managed capital projects
- Performing monthly budget versus actuals variance analysis for the VPO’s operating budget
- Performing specialized financial or cost analyses regarding project options
- Overseeing the day-to-day maintenance and administration of the standalone project accounting software used by the VPO (Sage)
- Optimizing project financial document workflow to achieve efficiencies and enhance overall project control environment
- Generating both ad hoc and month-end project cost reporting from Sage for VPO Management and VPO Project Managers
- Maintaining VPO funding model, and submitting quarterly reporting, including funding reconciliations, to the Ministry of Education
- Overseeing preparation and submission of periodic Certificate of Approval funding requests to the Ministry of Education
- Liaising with VPO-assigned Procurement staff in the preparation and processing of requisitions and purchase orders
- Liaising with VSB Maintenance staff to ensure the proper approval, control and reporting of VSB Maintenance-performed work charged to VPO-managed capital projects
- Overseeing month-end closing process for VSB fund in which VPO-managed capital project costs are recorded, including preparation of journal entries (working, where required, in PeopleSoft environment)
- Overseeing quarterly and year-end financial reporting for VPO-managed capital projects
- Leading VPO’s input into VSB’s annual planning and budgeting cycle
- Acting as VPO lead for all statutory audit requests related to VPO-managed capital projects
- Assuring compliance with federal, provincial and local laws and regulations
- Providing strategic analysis and financial advice to senior management
- Hiring , training and supervising unionized staff
Knowledge and Qualifications:
CPA and a minimum of five (5) years’ senior level accounting experience within a capital project management (building construction) environment.
This is a permanent position, which is exempt from union jurisdiction.
Please note that in accordance with the Criminal Records Review Act, selected candidates not currently employed the Vancouver Board of Education must pay a $28 fee and sign a release to permit a criminal record review. Employment with the Vancouver Board of Education is subject to passing this criminal record review.
Please include a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references who have directly managed/supervised your work along with your application to this competition. This posting will remain open until such time as a successful candidate has been offered the position.
- If you do not have a profile on Make a Future please create a profile to apply for management positions.
- Once you have created your profile then, while you are logged in, please search this ad again and then click the "apply now" button at the end of this ad. You will then be able to apply and upload any supporting documents to the competition and answer the job posting questions.
- You will automatically receive an email from this website letting you know your application to the competition has been received.