JOURNEYMAN TRADES –PAINTER
Competition No: S 21 MTE 008 REG
Under the direction of the Painting Foreman, is responsible for functions involving the preparation and painting of the interior and exterior of District facilities.
The work involves the performance of a variety of technical tasks under limited supervision and in accordance with clearly established policies, procedures, regulations and codes. Judgment is exercised in handling new assignments and determining new work methods.
- Performing interior and exterior painting tasks including job site evaluation, job site preparation and the application of paint, graphics and wall paper.
- Troubleshooting problems with painting related jobs including diagnosing and isolating the problem, researching solutions and repairing when tools and resources are available or referring to external contractors when necessary.
- Responding to service calls as required.
- Providing support, technical advice and training to other trades to complete painting assignments, as assigned by the Foreman.
- Preparing estimates of labour, materials and time required to complete painting assignments, as assigned by the Foreman.
- Participating in preventative maintenance schedule and preparing written reports of condition and providing recommendations for corrective action. Maintaining written work records as required.
- Submitting order/requisitions to Foreman for parts and supplies inventory and/or purchasing supplies on an as needed basis to complete work orders.
- Ensuring equipment and supplies used to perform duties are stored and maintained appropriately.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of district operational/personnel policies related to the position.
- Ensuring compliance with district and government health and safety procedures and regulations within the Facilities Management department to minimize potential for accidents, injuries and hazards.
- Undertaking related duties, as assigned consistent with this position.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The successful applicant will have successfully completed Grade 12, supplemented by a current British Columbia or Interprovincial Trades qualification in Painting, as well as the following:
- Three years of recent trades related experience.
- Working knowledge of the technical drawings, regulations and codes, standard practices, methods, materials and tools and equipment used in the trade.
- Working knowledge of proper safety practices and the demonstrated ability to work in a manner that recognizes personal safety and the safety of others.
- Proven ability to express ideas effectively both orally and in writing with the ability to explain instructions or information clearly to others.
- Proven ability to maintain positive interpersonal and communication skills with the demonstrated ability to contribute to an environment which promotes teamwork.
- Proven ability to work in an efficient manner, organize personal workload, work under pressure and see assignments through to completion.
- Proven ability to perform physical activities such as lifting, pushing, pulling and moving materials, equipment and supplies.
- Proven ability to make sound decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of computer operation including knowledge of MS Office, email, internet, district automated dispatch, and work order systems.
- A valid BC driver’s license.
The current salary is $31.67 per hour plus a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested applicants should submit a detailed resumé outlining qualifications and experience no later than 4:30 pm on Sunday, November 29, 2020 via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Individuals not currently employed by School District No. 34 (Abbotsford), are required to sign an "Authorization for Criminal Record Search" to permit a criminal record review. The interest of all applicants is appreciated; however, acknowledgments will only be made to those selected for an interview.