External Teaching Vacancy
SENĆOTEN Teacher On-Call
Driven by our desire to help students thrive in their academic and personal lives, the Saanich School District provides quality educational programs and a safe and nurturing learning environment for the over 7,000 culturally diverse students within its 18 schools. Serving the Saanich Peninsula located just north of Victoria, BC, the district has one of the highest graduation rates in the province and a student body that consistently scores well on annual assessment tests, thanks in large part to the dedication and efforts of our 900 teaching and support staff.
- Valid BC Teaching Certificate or First Nations Language Teaching Certificate
- Demonstrated language proficiency in SENĆOTEN
- Language teacher training an asset
- Knowledge of local Saanich Indigenous communities
- Significant leadership experience, preferably in relation to developing and enhancing Indigenous communities and cultural awareness
- Demonstrated successful experience acting as a role model for and working with Indigenous students supporting them in language development and fluency
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing connections and partnerships with Indigenous communities and raising cultural awareness in school
- Demonstrated strong organizational and classroom management skills
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as a member of school and district teams
- Effective communication skills, demonstrated through positive relationships with students, staff, parents/guardians and the community
- Strong administrative skills to manage the ongoing documentation processing requirements associated with the Indigenous Language Program
IN ACCORDANCE WITH HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION EXEMPTION SECTION 19(2), PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN TO APPLICANTS WITH INDIGENOUS ANCESTRY WHO HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF LOCAL HISTORY AND CULTURE, THE APPLICANT MUST BE ABLE TO RELATE POSITIVELY WITH THE INDIGENOUS COMMUNITY ON A DAILY BASIS.
This posting is open to both internal and external candidates. External candidates can apply online via Make a Future www.makeafuture.com or send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all candidates in advance for applying, however; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.