Aboriginal Education Assistant (Spareboard)
The Greater Victoria School District provides public educational services to over 20,000 students in the Greater Victoria Area, encompassing six municipalities. To provide this service, the District has a current operating budget of $190 million and employs approximately 3,000 staff; which includes, teachers, principals and vice-principals, support staff, psychologists, speech and language pathologists and exempt managerial staff.
In ten of our schools the Aboriginal Education Assistant (AEA) provides social, emotional and academic support and guidance to Aboriginal students. Additionally, as a role model and cultural interpreter, the AEA mentors Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal students in understanding Aboriginal culture.
The Aboriginal Education Assistant – Spareboard is a member of CUPE Local 947 and is paid at a rate of $22.89 per hour plus 11% in lieu of benefits. Preference will be given to persons of Aboriginal ancestry.
You must have:
- Grade 12 or equivalent.
- One (1) year Indigenous Family Support Certificate,
- wor Community Support Worker program;
- wor equivalent post-secondary courses in child and adolescent development or behavior management.
- One (1) year specific experience working with Aboriginal students, parents and the community.
- Ability to transfer knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal culture, heritage, values and history.
For a detailed job description, please click here.
Please send cover letter, resume, proof of qualifications and references to:
Human Resource Services, Greater Victoria School District #61
556 Boleskine Road, Victoria, BC V8Z 1E8
or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
While we appreciate all applications received, only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.