International Baccalaureate Core French NIT Teacher
Continuing 0.4 FTE
WHO WE ARE
From coastal beaches to mountain forests, North Vancouver School District – “the natural place to learn” – provides world-class instruction and a rich diversity of engaging programs to inspire success for every student. Our 25 elementary and 7 secondary schools,2600 staff and 16,000 students offer a safe and nurturing environment based on trust, respect, responsibility and collaboration. Noted for our progressive approach to instruction, firm belief in Inclusive Education, advocacy for indigenizing learning, and emphasis on social-emotional learning, the North Vancouver School District is a great place to learn, share and grow!
At the North Vancouver School District we offer a variety of options for our Elementary School Teachers. Our ideal candidates have a passion for teaching and inspire learning in all of our students. We are looking for teachers who are excellent communicators, organizers and collaborators and who make a positive difference in our schools.
At Capilano Elementary, we provide a supportive learning environment that values diversity, promotes success and personal growth, and inspires students to become global citizens who accept responsibility for their learning. We strive to deliver a modernized curriculum and assessment approach to education via the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP). Our community is full of innovative, collaborative, and collegial educators who model and appreciate a growth mindset. We endeavour to explore diverse cultures as part of our experience, including Indigenous world views and the First Peoples' Principles of Learning. Our current School Plan goal is to focus on enhancing our sense of community through compassionate integrity by supporting our community's social and emotional well-being and our sense of belonging, by being mindful of Approaches to Teaching & Learning; Diversity of Students, Families, and Staff; and Community Connections. Teaching at an IB School, the successful candidate will be using their experience in teaching FSL to provide NIT coverage and collaborating with teachers from K-7. An IB FSL teacher would be teaching Core French to grades 5, 6, and 7; as well as teaching French to at least one class per remaining grades (K-4). Schedule to be determined (potentially could be Tuesday and Wednesday).
WHAT WE REQUIRE
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching.
- Excellent verbal, written, facilitation and organizational skills.
- Displays social-emotional competencies of self-awareness, empathy, flexibility, relationship-building and responsible decision-making.
- Within a collaborative environment, develop a comprehensive understanding of curriculum with the ability to influence instruction, assessment, indigenous education and social-emotional learning practices.
- Ability to implement effective strategies to engage and support academic success for all learners in an inclusive environment
- Experience in designing and applying various assessment techniques to measure and monitor student progress.
- Committed to professional development with a desire to learn and implement new methodologies and strategies to provide a creative, engaged, and inclusive classroom experience.
- Demonstrated ability to apply relevant computer technologies to teaching and learning.
- Collaborates with students, parents and staff to enhance the school as a learning community.
IB Programme Expectations:
- Has demonstrable knowledge of and a commitment to modelling and supporting students in developing:
- The IB Learner Profile
- The IB Programme Standards and Practices
- Interdisciplinary / Transdisciplinary Teaching
- The Approaches to Learning
- The IB continuum- Progression of Learning
- The inquiry, action, reflection cycle as it pertains to the IB Programmes
- International mindedness and understanding of global contexts
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding of the fundamentals of IB pedagogy
- Has knowledge of and successful experience in inquiry-based instruction
- Has knowledge of and successful experience in concept-based Instruction
- Is well versed in the IB assessment philosophy, and utilizes effective assessment practices
- Embeds technology into instruction in meaningful and innovative ways
- Adeptly uses the IB planning framework to ensure incorporation of the key elements of the programme
- Is committed to professional collaboration – will meet regularly with the IB Programme Coordinator and colleagues to:
- ensure adherence to the IB Programme Standards and Practices
- plan and reflect on units of inquiry
- conduct whole-staff reflections on development of the programme
- Agrees to attend IB-sanctioned professional development
- Ensures all expectations set by the IBO concerning programmes and procedures are carried out accordingly and in a timely manner
- Assists with supervising students (Creativity, Action and Service, the Personal Project or Exhibition)
- Participate in the self-study and programme reflections
- A Bachelor of Education Degree (Primary Level)
- A valid BC Teaching certificate or eligibility for certification through the BC Teacher Regulation Branch (TRB)
- Successful experience teaching at the Primary level.
How to apply to this posting:
- Create your profile on Make A Future,
- To apply click "APPLY ONLINE" at the bottom of the posting.
- Please include the following documents and information with your application:
- Completed application package.
- Please complete all the sections including Experience, Education & References and answer all the corresponding questions.
- Minimum of three (3) professional teaching references who have observed your work as a teacher.
- For each referee, please include the names, titles, and email addresses and your professional relationship.
- Cover Letter
- Final Practicum Reports, or a recent Principal's Evaluation (if you have been teaching for a few years)
- Copy of transcript(s) or grades summary
All candidates are required to submit to a BC Ministry Criminal Record Check and a local Police Criminal Record Check as condition of employment.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship.
At the North Vancouver School District our values guide what we do. We support diversity and inclusion in our workplaces and schools; we welcome and respect the diverse backgrounds, experiences and talents of all our employees and students.
We value the opportunity to learn, share and grow on the traditional territory of the Coast Salish people, specifically the Skwxwú7mesh Nation and Tsleil-Waututh Nation.
** The North Vancouver School District values the time you have taken to submit your application; however, only those applicants selected to move forward will be contacted.**