YCCW-Youth Engagement Support (YES) for Take-A-Hike Program
Full Time TERM position – (September thru June)
YES Workers with the Burnaby School District have the primary responsibility of engaging at-risk and vulnerable youth through relationships and programming that helps them to change their behavior and shift the trajectories of their lives.
The successful YES Worker will have a relevant university degree in psychology, child and youth care or social sciences plus one year of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. In addition, the successful incumbent will have demonstrated experience working closely with team members, supervisors, and community to organize and plan excursions; and to establish connections with vulnerable youth. This position requires the candidate to be available to work flexible hours that include before and after school hours, overnight excursions and weekends.
The Take-A-Hike program requires specific outdoor education qualifications, expertise and experience in organizing and leading multi-day outdoor excursions. Successful candidate must have:
- Forty (40) hour certification in wilderness first aid
- Experience in overnight wilderness back country excursions in mountain and coastal environments (minimum of 80 hours)
- Experience safety checking and maintaining equipment, clothing and vehicles
- Valid Class 4 BC Driver’s License
- Certification in rock climbing, paddling, swimming, and travel in higher risk terrain including exposure to simple avalanche terrain or moving water, is an asset.
Qualified applicants should send their resumes with covering letter and current references by Friday, August 20, 2021 to:
Human Resources Department
School District 41 - Burnaby
5325 Kincaid Street, Burnaby, BC V5G 1W2
Only those applicants considered for interview will be contacted.
*Please forward application in ONE pdf document.