Grounds 1 - Temporary position effective immediately
The Grounds 1 Worker reports to the Grounds Foreman and takes direction from the Director of Facilities via the Grounds Foreman. This work involves carrying out maintenance and general field construction activities for district grounds, and involves manual work and the operation of grounds equipment such as tractors, and lawn mowers. The Grounds 1 Worker follows established procedures and methods to maintain playing fields, planted areas, drainage systems and parking lots. Repairs, renovations and new construction of these areas are also the Grounds 1 Worker’s responsibility.
Initially, employees in this position receive detailed instructions on new assignments, but as they become familiar with departmental practices and standards, they exercise some independence of judgment in the more familiar phases of the work. The Grounds 1 Worker works individually to perform many duties, and works with other employees of the Facilities Services department. Work activities vary with the season and the Grounds 1 Worker must be versatile and able to work in all types of weather.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs horticulture related maintenance duties such as cutting grass, pruning trees, planting shrubs, weeding, and raking leaves, following departmental guidelines
- Maintains lawns and playing fields by fertilizing, liming, aerating, and applying topdressing as directed
- Clears debris from culverts, catch basins and drains to allow for proper drainage
- Sweeps sidewalks, driveways; cleans and maintains the Grounds shop area
- Collects garbage from cans and discards in bins as required; keeps grounds clean of trash, beverage containers, branches and other items that could be hazardous
- Using tractors and shovels, clears snow and salts sidewalks, curbs, steps, and driveways
- Grades and maintains fields and parking lots using equipment such as front end loaders and tractors with grading blade
- Drives dump and pick-up trucks to haul gravel, sand, bark mulchand equipment or remove fill and debris, as required
- Installs and repairs fencing and curbing
- Constructs retaining walls, drainage systems (catch basins, ditches, drainpipe, and tiles) and installs playground equipment; in co-operation with other Facilities Services staff when required
- Operates and performs maintenance on all equipment such as lawn mowers (reel and rotary), tractors (large and small) with front end loader, back and front blades, weedeaters; chainsaws; shovels,
- Performs safety checks and minor maintenance duties for all equipment
- Performs other related duties as may reasonably be expected of a person in this position
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of one year’s experience in the performance of grounds maintenance and construction activities related to school district operations
- Some knowledge of ground drainage systems, basic landscaping and general field construction and maintenance practices
- Skill and ability to effectively operate in a safe manner equipment such as tractors with grading blades, front-end loader, pull behind lawn mower, chainsaw and departmental vehicles
- Ability to perform minor maintenance on grounds equipment
- Sufficient physical strength and health to work outdoors, to lift materials, and work in confined space
- Ability to work within departmental guidelines as to standards, methods and procedures
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability and willingness to work co-operatively with other staff on larger projects
- A valid Class 5 B.C. driver’s license; a drivers abstract to be completed annually
- Working knowledge of Mission Public School District policies and procedures http://www.mpsd.ca/districtinformation/policy_manual.aspx
- Working knowledge of healthy and safe work practices in accordance with WorkSafe BC Regulations for Workers
Please quote posting number 20-145 when applying.
Please note: only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.