CASUAL ON-CALL CROSSING GUARDS
COMPETITION NO: S 21 TRN 040 CAS
The Abbotsford School District is looking for dedicated, reliable casual Crossing Guards (Supervision Aides). Under the general direction of the Transportation Manager or designate, the Crossing Guard safely assists students and pedestrians using the designated crossing site.
• Overseeing the designated crossing during the assigned hours to ensure student safety.
• Obeying all established traffic safety regulations to ensure pedestrians are assisted in crossing roadways at designated locations.
• Coordinating the flow of pedestrians across selected intersection(s) with the flow of vehicular traffic and traffic control devices (where applicable).
• Documenting and reporting any behavioural incidents, accidents, injuries, hazards or suspicious persons/vehicles to the Principal or Designate.
• Attending and participating in staff meetings when requested.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND EXPECTATIONS
This position requires the ability to stand for up to 60 minutes at a time outside in all weather, including rain, snow, heat and cold. While annual training is provided, it is expected that good working knowledge of the Highway Traffic Act and Occupational Health and Safety Act as it relates to this position, and District child abuse protocol and reporting procedures is maintained.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Grade 12 diploma, or equivalent, supplemented by a clear criminal record check and must enjoy working with children and families. A valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License. As well, incumbents also require the following:
• Proven ability to use Microsoft Office programs, internet and internet-based programs, with the ability to learn other software programs;
• Proven ability to determine, judge and select appropriate courses of action in accordance with established policies and procedures;
• Understanding and awareness of cultural diversity;
• Proven ability to multi-task, prioritize, self-motivate, and meet deadlines;
• Proven ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and to provide service and relationship to the public and School District in a professional, respectful, positive and courteous manner;
• Proven ability to establish and maintain positive, effective work relationships in a team environment at all times;
• Proven ability to use tact and discretion and maintain confidentiality in matters pertaining to the School District;
• Working knowledge of WHMIS and WorkSafe BC occupational health and safety regulations and the demonstrated ability to work in a manner that recognizes personal safety and the safety of others;
• Ability to be flexible, adaptable and resilient to change;
• Ability to explain complex or simple instructions or information clearly to others;
• Ability to walk pedestrians safely across busy intersections, and react safely and decisively to traffic conditions;
• Knowledge of First Aid an asset.
The salary rate is $17.81 per hour with an additional 8% of straight time in lieu of statutory and non-statutory benefits.
Interested applicants should submit a detailed resume outlining qualifications and experience by 4:30 pm on Wednesday, June 30, 2021 to:
• makeafuture.ca, OR
• drop off to the Abbotsford School District, 2790 Tims Street, Abbotsford, BC between
8:00 am and 3:45 pm, Monday to Friday