2018-19 Hockey Program Teacher
Kleos Open Learning (DL) is a group 1 Independent Distance Learning School that is fully certified by the B.C. Ministry of Education. As a leader in personalized learning and special education, we develop quality academic programming for grades K-12. We believe each student is one-of-a-kind, not one of many. This core belief shapes our learning community and philosophy of education.
We are thrilled to be partnering with Selects Hockey Academy in West Kelowna, BC, to provide quality educational programming for young hockey players for the 2019-20 school year. This position involves supporting a small class size of upper elementary aged students with their academic program. A portion of the school day will be for educational programming, prescribed and implemented by the Kleos teacher. The remainder of the students day will be the responsibility of Selects Hockey Academy, with a focus on hockey skills and ice time. This position involves in person classroom teaching in a unique set-up/take down classroom environment for part of the day by the Kleos teacher. For the remainder of the day, while students are with Selects Hockey Academy, the Kleos teacher will be creating and planning lessons using our online learning management system.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- B.C. Teaching Certificate
- Commitment to educational programming for children
- Strong knowledge with B.C.’s New Curriculum
- Someone who values an athletic and nutritious lifestyle, with knowledge of and/or interest in hockey is an asset
- Experience providing Distributed Learning strategies or teaching using technology will be considered an asset
- Classroom teaching experience with the new curriculum
- Strong technology competencies and use of google tools
- Experience using Canvas learning management platform an asset
- Ability to work with little to no direct supervision
- Ability to work collaboratively on a high-functioning team
- Ability to manage 10-15 students independently in a unique environment
- Ability to adapt and individualize student programming
- Can maintain professionalism in challenging situations
- Able to support families in a compassionate and patient manner
- Act as an ambassador for Kleos, demonstrate our mission and values on a daily basis
- Open to constructive feedback and desire to grow professionally
- Maintain a high standard of ethics, integrity and confidentiality
- An active and nutritious lifestyle
Teacher duties include; creating personalized learning plans and lessons for students using a variety of resources (print, online, apps), customizing student classes using Canvas as an online learning management platform, engaging students in their learning, and assessing progress. Kleos teachers are expected to provide support to the students and families they serve, work collaboratively with other Kleos staff, and to adhere to the ethics of the educational profession.
This position is a recurring contract position.
Competitive wage, based on position.
We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible. Selected candidates will go through an interview process, which will include meeting with the board of hockey parents this Spring. We appreciate all expressed interest in this teaching opportunity, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please submit your cover letter, resume, references and any supporting documents to email@example.com