Maaqtusiis Elementary School
K-7 Art Teacher
Are you a passionate dedicated K-7 Art Teacher looking to be a part of unique team at a community-based school in Ahousaht, BC? If so, this opportunity is for you.
Maaqtusiis Elementary School is committed to serving the Ahousaht Nation on the West Coast of Vancouver Island (30-minute water taxi from Tofino). We are a trauma-informed school empowering strong, proud and resilient children rising above the effects of colonization, residential schools, cultural genocide and racism. We are committed to reflecting and supporting the revitalization of Ahousaht culture and language. With 15-20 students per classroom from Kindergarten to Grade 7, class sizes are small allowing for high quality instruction.
We are Looking for Someone Who:
- Is a passionate, dedicated K-7 Art Teacher who wants to help move our 160 students to the next level
- Believes that positive, caring relationships with students are foundational to learning
- Wants to make a difference as a teacher
- Assists students in reaching their highest potential
- Is able and willing to adapt and modify the curriculum to meet the individual needs of students
- Is willing to design and implement a positive classroom management plan aligned with the School Wide Positive Behaviour System
- Is willing to deliver BC curriculum using school-based programs
- The teacher will receive a full-time one-year teaching contract with the possibility of extending
- The teacher will receive a competitive salary (based on Port Alberni - District 70’s salary grid)
- The teacher will be provided accommodation in the community at a very low cost (also provided is isolated living allowance)
- Ability to develop rapport with students
- Ability to work collaboratively with fellow teachers, education assistants and support staff
- Strong interpersonal skills (including: communicating, critical thinking, collaborating)
Please send your resume including teaching-related references and a cover letter to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.