School District No. 60 (Peace River North) is inviting applications for the position of Accountant. This is a full-time exempt position and as such is not part of a union.
In School District 60, we serve over 6000 students in 23 schools throughout the region and communities of Fort St. John, Taylor, Charlie Lake, Hudson’s Hope with an annual budget of 75 million dollars. We are proud to work and learn on the traditional territory of the Dane-zaa. We are known as a progressive district that leverages technology for learning, supports a thriving trades and careers program as well as programming in arts, music and athletics. The district offers K to 12 French Immersion and a band program from grades 6-12. We enjoy a four seasons lifestyle of recreational activities in a spectacular natural setting with all the amenities and a full-service airport in Fort St. John. You’ll find musical and theatre performances, farmer’s markets, cultural events, and a variety of indoor and outdoor pursuits including: fishing, hiking, recreation leagues, swimming, mountain biking, skiing and golfing outside your door.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, this role involves responsibilities and tasks that are both technical and analytical in nature and range in complexity from intermediate to advanced. Close attention to detail, and independence of judgement, based on a sound understanding of departmental policies and accounting principles, are required attributes.
Duties are often performed with minimal supervision, with a responsibility to organize workflow to ensure deadlines are met. This position is also a key liaison between the schools and the Board Office with respect to school based financial training, guidance, and oversight.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Answers enquiries and relays messages to and from staff using telephone, computer, mail, or in person;
- Process journal entries as required;
- Monitors school operating budgets and investigates/report budget variances;
- Implement and monitor purchase order system (pending);
- Provide training and support to school-based staff related to the financial processes and procedures, financial reporting, and budget management for school generated funds
- Processes and reconciles G.S.T., P.S.T., and W.C.B. accounts;
- Reviews reconciliations accounts payable statements, accounts payable to reconcile by 10th of the month;
- Reconcile bank statements and resolve discrepancies; submit for review weekly;.
- Provides input into stream-lining of accounting procedures;
- Lead month end reconciliation, preparing monthly account reconciliations to be reconciled by the 10th of the month;
- Assist in the gathering of information for the preparation of amended budget and annual budgets;
- Preparing year end files and provide all information required for year-end audits
- Track and record Ministry of Education and other grants;
- Preparation of T4 entries for payroll annually. (ie. Moving allowance, travel benefit, vehicle taxable benefits);
- Assist with the coordination and supervision of regular school financial audits (pending);
- Provide backup support for accounts payable;
- Perform year-end tasks as required, including preparation of audit working papers;
- Process monthly transportation charge-outs;
- Variance analysis and ad-hoc reporting/analysis requests as required;
- Participates in special projects as requested by the supervisor;
- Develop and maintain training material, manuals, procedures, and reporting formats, as they relate to district and school based financial management and reporting;
- Perform other related duties as requested;
Desired Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
- Two years of Post Secondary Education and possession of or actively pursuing a recognized Accounting designation;
- Will preferably have experience with the SDS accounting package, or other batch entry accounting systems;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting in the public sector;
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of internal and external contacts;
- A thorough knowledge of computerized accounting systems, and spreadsheet and word processing software;
- The ability to design and implement effective accounting and record keeping systems;
- The ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
- High attention to detail;
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure;
- Prior experience in a related field would be an asset;
- Flexibility to adapt to changing roles and responsibilities;
For more information please contact:
Angela Telford, Secretary-Treasurer, at 250-262-6012 or email@example.com.
All applications with relevant documentation must be made online through
Make A Future for consideration for the position.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those shortlisted will be contacted after the closing date