School District 8 (Kootenay Lake) is nestled in the Southeast corner of British Columbia. We are a vibrant area, covering 6 "families of schools" in the centres of Creston, Crawford Bay, Kaslo/Meadow Creek, Nelson, Salmo, and the Slocan Valley. Our area is beautiful, vibrant, a fantastic place to raise children, has a world-renowned Arts and Entertainment community, and easily accesses a variety of amazing outdoor pursuits.
Our FOCUS.LEARN.EXCEL philosophy and our Board of Education's Learning Goals of: Literacy, Numeracy, Indigenization and Inclusion guide our practice with our students. We focus on excellence for all learners in a nurturing environment.
Trafalgar Middle School and L.V. Rogers Secondary School, in Nelson, BC, have a vacancy for a continuing 1.0 FTE Band Teacher with a position of special responsibility (POSR). The position includes grade 6 band, grade 7 band, grade 8 band, and grade 7/8 jazz band at Trafalgar Middle School for 0.75 FTE, and concert band and jazz band at LV Rogers for 0.25 FTE. This POSR will include coordinating the Band Program for both schools. Some of these classes may be taught outside of the regular timetable.
The successful candidate will have the appropriate training and experience to teach beginner to advanced level band to students in a middle to high school environment. This person should be flexible, creative and familiar with the BC Ed Plan.
The awarded applicant will be an energetic, collaborative, and organized individual who is committed to making the band program successful and engaging for all students. The successful candidate will be innovative, creative, and demonstrate understanding of the BC Ed Plan and the district directions. He/she will be a person who is continually striving to improve pedagogy in a changing educational environment.
• Bachelor of Education with specialization in music; or a Bachelor of Music with a Bachelor of Education; or a Bachelor of Fine Arts (music) and a Bachelor in Education
• A valid BC teaching certificate and current membership in the Teacher Regulation Branch.
Teachers applying for this position must possess the following attributes:
• Willingness to work closely with students, colleagues, and parents;
• Excellent classroom management skills;
• Strong interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills;
• Training in music education;
• Successful experience working with grade 6-12 students teaching Band;
• Knowledge and recent successful experience with music programs;
• Good organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to be flexible.
For more information please contact Acting Principal, Paul Luck at 250-352-5591 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
School District 8 supports equity hiring for Indigenous applicants.
*If you are experiencing any technical issues with your application
process to contact Make A Future's customer service line as HR cannot
upload or assist with these types of issues. We also cannot accept
documents via email such as cover letters/resumes/transcripts/teaching
reports via email as they do need to be part of the employee's Make a