School District 51 is looking for Casual Education Assistants interested in working in the Boundary Area. Hours of work can range from 20 to 26 hours per week. School District 51 operates on a 4-day week with schools open Monday to Thursday. Schools are located in Christina Lake, Grand Forks, Greenwood, Midway, Rock Creek, Beaverdell and Big White.
The School District serves about 1250 students with two 8-12 secondary schools, 7 elementary schools, K-9 school at Big White Ski Resort and an alternate school serving secondary students. The District has an active Aboriginal Education Department and Special Education Department. Professional Development opportunities are also provided for Education Assistants.
The Applicant should possess the following qualifications:
• A College Diploma Program that supports Special Education students in the classroom, or equivalent, as recognized by School District No. 51 (Boundary);
• A minimum of three months of current, demonstrated successful experience/training working with Special Education students.
Note: Applicants may be considered if they:
• Have equivalent successful work experience in K-12 schools as a Special Education Assistant;
• Are currently enrolled in a Special Education Assistant diploma program;
• Have a diploma/degree that includes course work in human behaviour.
Duties and Responsibilities may include:
• Tutoring individual students or small groups
• Facilitate communication utilizing sign, Braille, etc if required
• Prepare and modify specialized teaching materials
• Feeds, position, toilet, groom and assist with mobility of students
• Assist in the development or strategies to achieve academic, behavioural and social goals
• Monitor and record students progress
• Monitor student behaviour to ensure safety of the student to prevent student from hurting others
• Assist in minor first aide and complete required forms
• Communicate with students, staff and others and provide information of a detailed or specialized nature
• Encourage, secure cooperation and influence the students to achieve social, academic and behavioural goals
• Perform other related duties as required.
Please note that in accordance with the Criminal Records Review Act, selected candidates not currently employed by School District No. 51 (Boundary) must pay a $28 fee and sign a release to permit a criminal record review. Employment with SD51 (Boundary) is subject to passing this criminal record review.
School District 51 thanks all applicants for their interest in applying for this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.