District Careers Coordinator
Schools District No. 52 (Prince Rupert) is located within traditional Ts’msyen Territory on the beautiful north coast of B.C. and services the small communities of Hartley Bay and Port Edward in addition to the City of Prince Rupert. Currently School District 52 has one secondary school, one middle school, five elementary schools, one store-front site and one “on reserve” school (Hartley Bay, K-12). The student population is approximately 1,95000 students.
School District 52 has a career opportunity for a District Careers Coordinator. This is a term contract, funded by the Ministry of Education from September 1, 2018, to June 30, 2020. Reporting to the Director of Instruction Education Innovation, the successful candidate will provide leadership in career education awareness in addition to liaising with industry, regional, and municipal partners. The successful candidate will have superior information management, organization, written and oral communication skills.
The District Careers Coordinator is responsible for developing and supporting:
- Career awareness, programming and implementation throughout all district schools.
- Corporate partnerships for local training and funding.
This position requires a self-directed individual who:
- Communicates effectively.
- Will recruit financial and corporate support for development of career programming and training.
- Developing and maintaining positive corporate and community partnerships on behalf of SD52:
- Actively pursuing funds to support career awareness initiatives and career training opportunities.
- In collaboration with the Career Education Consultant and regional Industrial Trades representatives, expanding certified trades training opportunities within the region.
- Developing and sustaining relationships and partnerships with local Aboriginal organizations.
- Developing educational awareness:
- Collaborate with Principals, the Career Education Consultant, school counsellors, and classroom teachers in providing career awareness and opportunities.
- Survey students Grades 6 to 10 regarding career interests and develop initiatives based on survey data.
- Liaise with ITA and other provincial and regional organizations to promote career awareness and educational resources for career planning.
- Support and/or provide presentations to students in grades 6 to 10 on careers.
- Plan and implement a Maker Day or equivalent (e.g. Canada Skills Competition) for elementary and middle school students.
- Assist in organizing Professional Development activities that focus on careers including:
- Local ACE IT programs.
- Local entrepreneurial opportunities.
- Educational programs offered by local employers.
- Monitor program delivery and emergent needs
Interested candidates must have relevant post-secondary education such as a Degree in Business or Communications and relevant work experience. They should have experience in networking and creating partnerships. Applicants should have extensive local and provincial knowledge around the need for skilled worker in the Northwest region and the potential for the school district to enhance training opportunities for youth in the Prince Rupert region. Applicants should also have demonstrated success working in an environment of confidentiality.
Confidential applications for this position will be received until June 30, 2018 and can be forwarded to:
School District No. 52 (Prince Rupert)
Attention: Human Resources
634 – 6th Ave East
Prince Rupert, B.C.
Or Fax: 250-624-6517
Or email to: email@example.com
For further information, contact:
Christine Franes, Principal, Learning Services at Christine.Franes@sd52.bc.ca