School District No. 73 (Kamloops-Thompson) is currently accepting applications for the position of Buyer.
Under the limited supervision of the Purchasing Manager, the Buyer arranges for the purchases of goods and services requiring knowledge gained through research for the School District. Work is varied and requires the incumbent to comprehend, judge and make responsible decisions based on School District need and available product knowledge.
- Receives and Reviews purchase requisitions and consults with School District staff regarding requirements for the acquisition of equipment, supplies and services, including specification, quantity, quality, costs and delivery dates: recommends substitutes to improve delivery and/or costs.
- Monitors Purchase Requisitions and Orders for compliance with contractual terms and conditions and carries out follow-up activities, such as monitoring insurance and WorkSafe clearance, delivery dates, resolving shipping problems, respond to inquiries and complaints, investigating order discrepancies, reviewing backorder situations, making price adjustments, and arranging for credit, return or exchange as appropriate; mediates disputes that may arise between parties.
- Researches and selects suppliers, goods and services according to reliability, price, specifications, terms and conditions.
- Contacts suppliers for information such as price, delivery dates, quality, suitability, and taxes; selects suppliers, negotiates prices and delivery dates and places orders for a variety of equipment, supplies and services either by phone, in person or electronically utilizing the computerized purchasing system, the Internet or other computerized software; and maintains related files and records.
- Provides relevant supply management information to appropriate internal and external agencies as required.
- Prepares specifications, conditions and legal binding documents for the formal tendering of equipment, supplies and services utilizing word processing and spreadsheet software and knowledge of the BC Bid process.
- Solicits and analyzes quotations from vendors in terms of price, quality and conformity to specifications and negotiates resultant supplies and services contracts and/or places purchase orders.
- Answers inquiries and provides information to District staff on purchasing policies and procedures.
- Arranges reassignment of District equipment internally, and disposal of obsolete equipment via the BC Auction process.
- Administers volume licensing software – example: Windows and Adobe.
- Assists with administering the district purchasing card program
- Maintains district atrieve Warehouse Inventory System module
- Maintains annual service contracts and facility lease contract files as assigned
- Other assigned job related duties.
ABILITIES, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Intermediate/Advanced ability in using Word Processing and Spreadsheet software, such as MS Word and Excel (or similar tools such as Open Office and Google docs and sheets).
- Ability to conduct extensive internet research and utilize internet business ordering portals.
- Knowledge of public sector legal requirements and related procurement practices as governed by NWPTA, TILMA, FOIA, AIT, and other trade agreements as applicable.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload.
- Ability to communicate and maintain effective working relationships with District staff, in addition to various outside agencies/suppliers.
- Ability to comprehend and utilize applicable tax exemptions available to the School District.
- Ability to assign, direct and guide the work of those employees in a lower classification, as assigned by the Purchasing Manager.
- Ability to answer inquiries relating to technical purchases requiring significant research and provide appropriate information concerning Purchasing policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of School District product and service requirements
- Grade 12
- Preference given to those who have commenced or completed the 4 core SCMA SMT Technical courses:
- Operations Management
- Minimum of 4 years proven previous work experience in Purchasing as an intermediate Buyer.
- Working knowledge of Public Sector Purchasing policies and procedures.
Deadline to apply: Friday, July 30, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.