Yaw Smatmc! (Hello Friend)
Nuxalk Acwsalcmlslayc Academy of Learning Society office is located at 4-Mile Subdivision in Nuxalk territory adjacent to Acwsalcta School, which is one of the most architecturally beautiful schools in B.C., and features exquisite designs by local Nuxalk artists. Our school is a K-12 school, and boasts a Head Start and Language Immersion Preschool program, and we have a licensed Daycare on site. Acwsalcta School is an independent school, and offers many locally developed courses along with the Ministry of Education's graduation program.
Acwsalcta School offers a large range of programs including Outdoor Education, Traditional Foods and Nuxalk Language and Culture classes.
Acwsalcta means “A Place of Learning”. At Acwsalcta, students are provided with opportunities and support to develop strong personal identities as Nuxalkmc. Our dynamic cultural program is a foundation upon which they can build the skills, knowledge, values and attitudes that will inspire them to become lifelong learners and to find success for each of them in meeting the challenges of a complex and rapidly changing future.
Acwsalcta School is looking for a full time Elementary Teacher On Call. This position will support any teacher absences in the elementary classes.
- Demonstrate an appreciation for Nuxalk culture and an appreciation of diversity.
- Substitute for any K-6 classes whose teachers are away.
- Follow day plans left by the regular classroom teacher, and have emergency day plans prepared
in case day plans from the classroom teacher are unavailable.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of all students in the classroom.
- Maintain a positive learning environment.
- Leave feedback and notes for classroom teachers about the day.
- If no classroom teachers are away, you may be asked to substitute for One-on-One Educational Assistants, or to assist with push-in special education support.
-must have a Bachelor of Education and a current BC Teaching Certificate
-must be willing to work collaboratively with other staff members to meet school goals and vision
-demonstrates a knowledge and understanding of First Nations culture, and a willing to learn and implement Nuxalk teachings into the classroom
-demonstrates the understanding of a community school, and involves the community and families in the school events
-experience teaching elementary is preferred
Please send your resume and supporting documents to Brittany Hughes, Acwsalcta Principal via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about our school at www.acwsalcta.ca . We look forward to your application!