Competition # 21-16
Generalist Elementary/Intermediate Teacher
Full Time Continuing
School District 87 operates within the unceded traditional territories of the Tahltan, Kaska and Tlingit First Nations and we honour these relationships. We respect and value the relationships with all other First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples who reside in these territories. This land has always been a place of learning and we are thankful to live, work, and learn here. It is with respectful consideration that the programs and services provided to students and staff acknowledge their histories, cultural contributions, and contemporary concerns.
If you are a BC Certified Teacher and would like to live in a small remote northern community, work with and serve Indigenous youth, then School District No 87 is the place for you. School District No 87 offers small class sizes which provide an excellent opportunity for differentiated instruction and learning. This is a positive professional growth opportunity as SD87 continuously explores innovative practices within an inquiry-based teaching and learning environment that honours Indigenous ways of knowing, being and doing.
We welcome teachers who are student centered and have:
- education and experience specific to elementary teaching in a multi-grade classroom;
- successful experience with Indigenized Curriculum as well as First Nations Language and Culture;
- demonstrated understanding and respect for Indigenous learning and learners;
- experience engaging students outside the classroom;
- ·on-the-land learning;
- a team player committed to the belief that all students can learn;
- the ability to connect with students in trusting and supportive ways, clarify problems and challenges, and restore harmony and respect;
- experience with Trauma Informed Practice;
- excellent teaching, planning and assessment skills;
- ability and commitment to work and engage collaboratively with students, staff, parents, guardians and community;
- demonstrated success utilizing varied instructional strategies and differentiated instruction;
- commitment to on-going professional growth;
- willingness to support extra-curricular activities.
School District No 87 offers the highest salaries in the province, a relocation allowance upon arrival followed with an additional amount at the end of 2 years, an isolation allowance, annual personal travel allowances for employee and dependents living with them, a substantial professional development package and an excellent benefit package (100% medical, extended health, dental and group health insurance). We also supply modern accommodation at a reasonable rent.
There are many places to explore and experience adventures within the Stikine. Most residents go fishing, hiking, snowshoeing, canoeing, kayaking, snowmobiling, hunting, quadding, boating, skiing, mountain biking and much more including a family-oriented lifestyle with affordable living.
For further information, please contact Ms. Tracey MacMillan, Superintendent of Schools at 250-771-4440.
Please send application with supporting documentation including: a current resume; name and contact information (including telephone and email address) of at least three references who may be contacted and who are familiar with your professional performance; Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Reference Check; proof of B.C. certification; and T.Q.S. to:
Tracey MacMillan, Superintendent of Schools
School District No.87 (Stikine)
P.O. Box 190, Dease Lake, BC V0C 1L0
Phone: (250) 771-4440
Fax: (250) 771-4441
This position will remain open until filled. Start date is September 1, 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.