Teacher Teaching On Call (TTOC)
Apply Here: https://twnation.ca/job/
WHO WE ARE
The primary outcomes of the Tsleil-Waututh Nation (TWN) School is to provide a culturally appropriate learning environment that nurtures the well-being of students, families and the community as a whole. Our program recognizes that learning flourishes in a positive learning environment where the universal growth needs of all children are met. This is achieved through having an educational program that centres on TWN culture and provides daily opportunities for cultural immersion, as well as outdoor experiential education (OEE), from Kindergarten to grade 12.
At our school the practices that were almost lost due to colonial practices of forced assimilation are now being reclaimed. Cultural knowledge holders and experts are at the core of our teaching program, including teaching our ancestral languages, stories, songs, dances, and cultural practices such as weaving, food sovereignty and carving. In our school, TWN students are able to foster cultural identity and sense of belonging through a dynamic and holistic education model.
Land-based learning is practiced daily with our classes spending considerable time doing outdoor experiential education (OEE) in their traditional territories. Our students do science, technology, engineering, art, and math (STEAM), as well as language arts, humanities, and physical education, in the forests and along beaches minutes from the in-door learning spaces. We have skilled and certified teaching staff that weave Indigenous pedagogy in with the BC Curriculum. Our modern pedagogy of learning with connected hearts, minds and hands link directly to the traditional wisdom of šxʷqʷeləwən ct (one heart, one mind). With our school we are building resilience and strength for the Tsleil-Waututh Nation, while addressing reconciliation directly.
At TWN School we offer a unique learning program. Our ideal candidates have a passion for teaching and inspire learning in all of our students. We are looking for teachers who are excellent communicators, organizers and collaborators and who make a positive difference in our school. TTOC will be responsible for covering classes of regular learning group teachers, and may also work as resource teachers within the school supporting the learning environment and students.
WHAT WE REQUIRE
• Demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching.
• Excellent verbal, written, facilitation and organizational skills.
• Displays social-emotional competencies of self-awareness, empathy, flexibility, relationship-building and responsible decision-making.
• Within a collaborative environment, develop a comprehensive understanding of curriculum with the ability to influence instruction, assessment, indigenous education and social-emotional learning practices.
• Ability to implement effective strategies to engage and support academic success for all learners in an inclusive environment
• Experience in designing and applying various assessment techniques to measure and monitor student progress.
• Committed to professional development with a desire to learn and implement new methodologies and strategies to provide a creative, engaged, and inclusive classroom experience.
• Demonstrated ability to apply relevant computer technologies to teaching and learning (For example, Google G Suite for Education).
• Collaborates with students, parents and staff to enhance the school as a learning community.
• A Bachelor of Education Degree (Secondary Level)
• A valid BC Teaching certificate or eligibility for certification through the BC Teacher Regulation Branch (TRB)
How to apply to this posting:
Apply via this link: TTOC ( Teacher on call)
Or go to our website: https://twnation.ca/job/
- Choose job and apply online via link at bottom of job description
Please include the following documents and information with your application:
Completed application package.
- A Résumé (CV) is required, and cover letter appreciated.
- On your Résumé, include a minimum of three (3) professional teaching references who have observed your work as a teacher.
- For each referee, please include the names, titles, and email addresses and your professional relationship.
- Appreciated as part of the application: Cover Letter, Final Practicum Reports, or a recent Principals Evaluation (if you have been teaching for a few years)
All candidates are required to submit to a BC Ministry Criminal Record Check and a local Police Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship.
* TWN School values the time you have taken to submit your application; however, only those applicants selected to move forward will be contacted
At the TWN School our values guide what we do. We support diversity and inclusion in our workplaces and schools; we welcome and respect the diverse backgrounds, experiences and talents of all our employees and students.