New Westminster Schools Career Opportunity
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER
New Westminster Schools has an exciting opportunity for a collaborative human resources professional to serve as one of two Human Resources Managers. Reporting to the Executive Director of Human Resources, this challenging exempt position will play a key role on the Human Resources team. As part of a small dynamic HR team, the ideal candidate will enjoy being involved in a full range of HR activities.
About New Westminster Schools
New Westminster is located in the center of Metro Vancouver between the larger communities of Burnaby, Coquitlam, Surrey, and Richmond. Despite its location and population, the city has retained a strong sense of history and community. With over 1000 employees and approximately 7000 K-12 students, the district has 12 schools (8 elementary, 3 middle and 1 secondary). In addition to the 12 schools, New Westminster Schools is proud to have three Youth Alternate Programs, two Adult Learning Centres, and a Home Learners’ Program. District schools are, in general, fully subscribed, and a modest increase in student enrolment is expected in each of the next few years.
About the position
As one of two HR Manager’s the incumbent successful candidate will assist with the processes of recruitment, selection, labour relations (including interpretation and administration of all collective agreements), support for negotiations, job classification and job description management, leave management, and human resource programs and projects for an assigned employee group. Additionally, the incumbent will be expected to assist, support and provide backup to other members of the HR team.
- Superior interpersonal, communication, analytical and conflict resolution skills
- A leadership style that is open and transparent with a commitment to problem solving
- Action oriented with a commitment to best practice HR.
- Demonstrated success in a broad range of public sector human resource service areas, ideally in a BC public school district or similar organization
- The ability to work as an enthusiastic member of a team
- Post-secondary qualification in Human Resources Management. Relevant bachelors or master’s degree preferred
- CPHR designation or in progress
- Three – five years’ experience in human resources in a multi-site public sector unionized environment
- Experience working with union leaders and local representatives in labour relations matters, including grievance management and participation in various labour management committees
- Experience in collective agreement interpretation, labour relations research, OHS, contract management, negotiations, and full-cycle recruitment and selection
- Thorough knowledge of legislation affecting employers and employees with extensive experience implementing best practices human resource management
- Experience using computerized human resource management systems, and an advanced level of knowledge using a range of MS Office products
- Ability to prioritize issues, make effective decisions, and coordinate a wide range of issues within a complex and demanding environment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of staff, union representatives outside agencies and community contacts
Submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three recent professional references in one single PDF document to:
Robert Weston, Executive Director of Human Resources
New Westminster Schools
References will not be contacted without candidate permission.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found, however applications received prior to Monday, June 21 will be assured of full consideration. The successful candidate will be expected to commence employment on or before August 2, 2021.
New Westminster Schools is committed to principles of inclusion and equity and invites those with diverse backgrounds to apply. Those applicants in need of specific consideration when applying should bring such need to the attention of Robert Weston – Executive Director of Human Resources, by email to email@example.com, or by phone at 604-517-6346.
Please note: Only those applicants legally entitled to work in Canada will be considered.
Candidates who have questions are invited to contact Executive Director of Human Resources Robert Weston, at 604.517.6346 or firstname.lastname@example.org