Applications are invited from qualified individuals for the following position. Application packages must contain a current resume and covering letter with three current professional (supervisory) references.
School District Psychologist
0.5 FTE Term Effective immediately - June 30, 2018.
This position is an integral part of a progressive multidisciplinary team approach and works out of the Nelson Board Office. This position serves the school communities of Nelson, Kaslo, Slocan Valley and Salmo.
• The selected candidate will work with school based teams in problem solving learning plans for students. Consultation and assessment services are critical components of this position.
• Demonstrated experience with functional assessments to support student learning within the context of Response to Intervention and Universal Design for Learning frameworks will be required.
• Provide leadership in supporting student learning in a Positive Behaviour Support environment.
• Assists with Ministry of Education processes for designation and adjudication.
• Participation on the District Crisis Intervention and Violence Threat Risk Assessment team.
• The applicant must have experience in the K-12 education system and/or comprehensive knowledge of instruction and psych-education assessment practices.
• The selected Candidate must have the following:
- Registration (or eligibility for registration) with the College of Psychologists of British Columbia:
- The minimum of a Master’s degree in school/educational psychology, or a related field with a focus on school psychology, and whose qualifications meet the standard for membership in the BC Association of School Psychologists.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, knowledge of behavior and psychological disorders are required in order to meet student need.
• Proven evidence of consultation with teachers, support staff, parents, student and community agencies regarding student strengths and needs, assessment implications, and interventions. Collaboration with school-based and/or district personnel to gather classroom-based data, design or implement instructional strategies/interventions and/or design and implement behavioural interventions.
• There may be opportunities to assist school and district staff in providing additional “Pro D” support for educators and support staff (e.g., behavior management, observational techniques/data gathering, PBS, RTI, AFL, UDL), and participate or assist in program evaluation and research activities.
• A valid BC driver’s license and vehicle as travel throughout the district is required.
For more information please contact Cooridnator of Independent Learning Services, Lovette Denisoff at 250-505-7054 or email: email@example.com
Please note that the awarded applicant will be required to join the Kootenay Lake Teachers' Federation
WHILE WE APPRECIATE ALL APPLICATIONS, WE WILL ONLY CONTACT SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS.
Check out what our District and Surrounding Area has to offer:
New York Times - Article - BC Powder highway
Nelson is a vibrant community of approximately 10,000 people that
serves as the cultural, educational, economic, government and health
care hub for approximately 25,000 people. Some residents chose to live
in a lovely Heritage home within blocks of lively Baker Street. Others
choose the expansive lake and mountain views from the top of the city.
Some prefer to live along the lake or in rural acreages with creeks and
room for hobby farms.
Whitewater Ski Resort is consistently lauded by Powder Magazine,
Skiing and the New York Times as having some of the lightest, deepest
powder on the planet.
Set along the shores and on the mountains overlooking Kootenay Lake, our mountain bike trails are literally world-famous.
We are situated in the midst of multiple golf courses with stunning
lake and mountain vistas. We have a beautifully restored performing arts
theatre, many live music venues, children’s theatre productions and
opportunities for post-secondary education at Kootenay School of the
Arts, Selkirk College Music Programme and Selkirk’s trades programs. Our
numerous restaurants, coffee shops, artisan bakeries, and breweries are
run by superb chefs, roasters, bakers, and brew meisters. Nelson is a
hub for numerous budding and established technology companies. In short,
we live here because we love this place and the people who have chosen
Nelson to be their home.