We are looking for an exceptional educator, dynamic leader, and a strong advocate for public education to join our team.
Due to the resignation of our Superintendent, the Board of Education invites applications for the position of Superintendent/CEO for SD8 (Kootenay Lake). Duties will commence August 1, 2021, or as mutually agreed.
Imagine a pristine part of the world, filled with unparalleled beauty. Lush with outdoor and indoor opportunities, a thriving cultural presence, and opportunities for young and old, the Kootenays attract people from all over the world who want to make this their home. Along with its natural beauty, our region in the southeast corner of British Columbia is a fantastic place to raise children, has a world-renowned arts and entertainment community, and easily accesses a variety of amazing year‐round outdoor pursuits.
Now imagine being a part of a visionary, creative team with a focus on providing the best opportunities possible on behalf of approximately 5,000 students. Can you see yourself thriving in this kind of environment? If so, please consider joining us in our drive to be public education leaders.
School District No. 8 (Kootenay Lake)
The District includes 21 schools reflecting several unique communities including Crawford Bay, Creston, Kaslo, Meadow Creek, Nelson, Salmo, Slocan, South Slocan, Winlaw, Wynndel, Yahk and the surrounding rural areas, within a large geographic area including two time zones. The District’s operating budget for 2020‐2021 is approximately $70 million.
The Board of Education
Nine Trustees represent and support the different communities within the District. Each community has a unique identity and culture, and each demonstrates a strong commitment to public education. The Board of Education is proud of its efforts to work collaboratively with educational partners with a high degree of transparency. The Board’s practices are guided by its values of Educational Success, Creativity & Imagination, Engaged Citizenship and Resiliency, and its Learning Goals of Literacy, Numeracy, Indigenization and Inclusion. This is summarized in its mission: “We focus on excellence for all learners in a nurturing environment”. An established Strategic Plan guides our work.
You will demonstrate a deep commitment to the strong relationships we value. A rich professional background, including school‐based and senior educational and administrative leadership will be among your strengths. You are a consummate problem solver and collaborator, ready to lead the District through the challenges ahead, while ensuring SD8 (Kootenay Lake) continues to be a leader in student
achievement, and a preferred employer of choice. You will receive further insights by viewing the Leadership Competencies for School District 8 and the Job Description for the Superintendent/CEO.
Following consultation with partner groups, the Board of Education is seeking a candidate who:
- has a high degree of emotional intelligence and a proven ability to foster trusting, collaborative relationships with all of our unique educational partners;
- appreciates and understands the governance role of the Board of Education and has a track record of working positively and productively with trustees;
- is student‐centered and focused on raising achievement levels and improving the life chances for all students;
- is a courageous, inspirational and visionary leader who pauses to engage with partner groups and is willing to admit when a mistake has been made;
- is an effective communicator who values meaningful consultation and considers input;
- has a proven ability to support reconciliation and build meaningful relationships with Indigenous communities
- has worked positively with unions in a unionized environment;
- is knowledgeable and supportive of rural education, culture and issues;
- works collaboratively to optimize financial resources to support student success;
- is a strategic, systems thinker, who is innovative and willing to take informed risks;
- recognizes the strengths of employees and is committed to leadership development and mentorship.
Email by May 14, 2021, in a single PDF, the following documents to Recruitment@sd8.bc.ca:
• A cover letter describing your interest in the position as well as your preparation for the role of Superintendent of Schools.
• A Curriculum Vitae outlining your relevant education, career and leadership experiences related to the role, along with provincial and/or community involvement/committees.
• A list of references, with complete email and telephone contact information, including at least one from each of the following:
- Superintendent or District Office colleague if already a Superintendent
- Teachers’ Association
- CUPE/Support Staff Union
- Indigenous community/Aboriginal Education leader
School District 8 supports equity hiring for Indigenous applicants.
The successful applicant will have a Criminal Record Check (submitted by the employer).
Please note that applications through the Apply Online feature at Make A Future will not be accepted. All applications are to be sent in a single PDF directly to the School District at Recruitment@sd8.bc.ca.
To Learn More About the District and Our Area:
• SD8 website: https://www.sd8.bc.ca/
• Crawford Bay: http://artisansofcrawfordbay.com/
• Town of Creston: http://www.creston.ca/
• Village of Kaslo: http://www.kaslo.ca/
• Meadow Creek & Area: Region Website
• City of Nelson: http://www.nelson.ca/
• Village of Salmo: http://salmo.ca/
• Village of Slocan: http://www.slocancity.com/
• Winlaw: www.facebook.com/WinlawBritishColumbia
For further information regarding this position and schedule, please contact Recruitment@sd8.bc.ca.