School Principal, Individual Learning Centres - ILC (Grades 9-12)
Located on the beautiful Saanich Peninsula near Victoria, the Saanich School District serves approximately 7,100 students in eight elementary, three middle and three secondary schools, as well as two Individual Learning Centres (ILC), the South Island Distance Education School (SIDES) and the Children’s Development Centre (CDC). The District employs 650 teachers, 36 principals and vice-principals, 500 unionized support staff, 16 exempt management staff and manages a $71 million operating budget.
The District’s Individual Learning Centres are located in Saanichton and the Broadmead community and have a combined enrolment of approximately 200 students in grades 9-12, as well as adult enrollment in Continuing Education, all with diverse backgrounds and learning needs. The Principal directs a staff of approximately 15 teachers, counselors and support staff.
The Saanich School District invites applications from internal and external qualified candidates for the position of Principal at ILC effective October 1, 2021.
Qualifications and Attributes
Outstanding leaders who wish to be considered must be eligible for membership within the BC Teacher Regulation Branch by holding a valid BC teaching certificate and have completed a Master's Degree with an emphasis in curriculum, administration, leadership, counselling or related field.
Applicants must also demonstrate the following requirements:
- Possess background in secondary school administration with specific familiarity in alternate education;
- Familiarity with dual-credit programs and their link to local post-secondary institutions;
- Support an active and healthy school climate with a wide range of student learning opportunities in the classroom as well as alternative learning environments;
- Be a leader in the use of technology in education;
- Have demonstrated leadership in supervision of learning;
- Demonstrated understanding and respect for Indigenous learning and learners as well as knowledge of the W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations;
- Proven examples of a collaborative, consensus seeking leadership style;
- Highly effective and respectful interpersonal, communication and conflict resolution skills;
- Creation of innovative practices and programs within an inquiry-based teaching and learning environment;
- Familiarity with and proven record of addressing the social-emotional needs of their students with various supports and innovative programming;
- Strong organizational and management skills;
- Effective leadership during critical incidents and other stressful conditions;
- Have knowledge of and experience with leading initiatives in support of students with special needs;
- Act as a strong advocate for the Principles of Learning and the Principles of Inclusive Schools with a demonstrated record of successful implementation of these principles;
- Demonstrated excellence as a teacher and as an instructional leader at the school and district level;
- Thorough understanding of effective assessment and evaluation practices;
- Positive working relationships with students, parents, the Board of Education, the school community including student leaders, Parent Advisory Council and various community agencies having a mandate related to youth welfare.
OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
How to Apply
Highly successful educational leaders are invited to consult the Saanich School District’s website at www.sd63.bc.ca to learn more about the District and its Individual Learning Centres. Potential candidates may also contact the Office of the Superintendent of Schools for further information.
The Saanich School District offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Interested applicants are invited to submit an application which includes:
- A current resume,
- Names and contact information of at least three references who may be contacted and who are familiar with your professional performance, and
- Any other applicable supporting documents.
Please submit this application to Robyn Reid, Director of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is 9:00 am (PDT) Tues Sept 7, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however,only those selected for an interview will be contacted.