Human Resource Assistant
Health & Safety/Benefits
Surrey Schools provides quality education to over 74,000 students in British Columbia’s fastest-growing community. Serving a diverse, multicultural urban centre, we are a progressive school district offering a broad range of innovative programs and services to support the learning of our students and staff.
Human Resources is looking for a talented and organized self-starter to join our team as a permanent full-time HR Assistant. Based out of our District Education Centre, this position is a hybrid and a bridge between Health Services and Health & Safety. You will play a key role in the proactive management of occupational disability claims, and will be the Benefits subject matter expert for our 4 employee groups.
This position has dual reporting – to the Manager of Health & Safety and Manager of Health Services within a collegial, dynamic and fast paced setting.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Health & Safety:
- Assist with gathering relevant information for processing WorkSafeBC Claims.
- Engage injured employees in Early Return to Work and Stay at Work initiatives proactively, escalating enquiries to the Manager or H&S Coordinators when appropriate.
- Update and maintain the Health & Safety Information System with accuracy and precision.
- Collate data, prepare and maintain reports, distribute information to appropriate stakeholder groups and provide input on trends.
- Provide information, guidance and excellent customer service to internal and external stakeholders - Managers, Principals/Vice-Principals, Teachers, Support Staff, Union Representatives, and third party vendors, and WorkSafeBC for health care and short-term time loss claims.
- Foster supportive, collaborative and productive relationships with all internal and external stakeholder contacts and contribute to the ongoing development of the District’s Early Return to Work and Recover at Work Program, policies and practices.
- Provide back up support for other employee groups within the Health & Safety Department.
- Demonstrate utmost discretion in handling and disclosing confidential and sensitive information.
Health Services - Benefits:
- Respond to incoming benefits questions via phone and email. Act as the key contact and subject matter expert. Create and maintain benefits guides and resources for staff, as well as job aids and manuals for the position.
- Administer employee benefits plans including setting up new members, processing benefits changes, and preparing and processing benefits documentation.
- Coordinate the submission of disability claims documentation to other departments or benefits providers.
- Proactively monitor and implement changes to benefits plans. Communicate changes to impacted employees.
- Routinely assist in the onboarding and orientation for new staff.
- Independently investigate and resolve complex benefits-related issues. Escalate enquiries when appropriate.
- Update and maintain records in HRIS and other systems. Provide ongoing recommendations for improvements to benefits processes, and implement approved changes.
- Provide accurate, cohesive reports when required.
- Other duties as required.
- Recent HR experience in a unionized setting.
- Experience/knowledge in one or more of these areas is an asset:
- WorkSafeBC claims management.
- Disability Management, Return to Work and Workplace Accommodation.
- Benefits Administration.
- Education assets include a relevant post-secondary program in Occupational Health & Safety, Disability Management or Benefits administration.
- Proficiency with HRIS and Microsoft Office, and the ability to master other software programs.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills across different levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently, think critically and creatively, and solve complex issues.
- Flexible self-starter with excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Results oriented with the ability to meet deadlines and thrive in a fast paced team environment.
This position works in an office environment, requiring occasional travel to various work locations within School District #36 (Surrey). Conditions of employment are established by Surrey School District’s exempt terms of employment and Human Resources policies and procedures. As such, normal work hours are 8:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday.
The successful applicant will be offered a competitive salary and benefits package, and opportunities for professional development.
Interested and qualified applicants can apply by clicking “apply online” below by 4:00 pm Tuesday December 2, 2020.
If you have other specific questions regarding this position, please contact email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not email your application.
Successful applicants will be required to consent to a Criminal Record Search prior to employment.
Note: Only those persons selected for interviews will be contacted. To all others, thank you for your interest.