Set in one of the world’s most livable cities, Vancouver is a community-minded district seeking talented educators, progressive leaders, and skilled support staff to enrich the learning experience of Vancouver’s 50,000 students.
The Vancouver Board of Education welcomes applications for:
Hourly Rate: $23.55 plus 14% in lieu of benefits (total = $26.85/hour)
We are currently seeking individuals who are interested in on-call custodial work with the Vancouver Board of Education. Strong communication skills and the ability to work independently and as a team member are essential. This position is on-call but is busy and regular assignments are available throughout the year.
Candidates must be available to work Monday to Friday for any shifts (e.g., day, afternoon, or graveyard shift). Please note that majority of the shifts are afternoon (2:30 pm to 10:30 pm or 3:00 pm – 11:00 pm) during the regular school year. In addition, during the 2 month summer break, 2 week winter break, and 2 week spring break there are mainly day shift assignments (7:30 am to 3:30 pm).
- Completion of grade 12
- Building Service Worker Certificate preferred; otherwise, 2+ years’ experience in custodial/janitor work
- Must be flexible and accept assignments on short notice
Your application must include:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three supervisor references. Must include phone numbers and email addresses
Career progression with the VSB:
Once hired, we have our full time or part time (SPT) custodial positions which are all awarded based on seniority, furthermore if you obtained a minimum of a power engineering program certificate you would have access to the VSB’s internal postings for permanent positions including Assistant Head Custodian (AHC), Head Custodian (HC), and Assistant Building Engineer 1 (ABE1) positions. A 5th class power engineering certificate would meet the qualifications for all these positions and a minimum of the 5th class power engineering program would meet the qualifications for the AHC and HC positions.
The District welcomes qualified applicants who value equity and diversity as essential to excellence. The distinct makeup of the VSB community strives to support the inclusion of all voices. You may wish to share some lived experiences that demonstrate your connections to our diverse student community.
The VBE has been given approval from the Human Rights Tribunal for a Special Program under s. 42(3) of the Human Rights Code. Under this special program, the VBE seeks to preferentially hire Aboriginal persons to a variety of positions. Therefore, each applicant may wish to provide, on a voluntary basis, information whether they self-identify as an Aboriginal person.
**This posting is ongoing until filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Please note, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted regarding an interview**
MAKE A FUTURE APPLICATION PROCESS
1. If you do not have a profile on Make a Future, please create a profile under the category, “ECE, EA/TA/ERW, Clerical, Secretarial, Administrative, Custodians, etc.”
2. Once you have created your profile then, while you are logged in, please search this ad again then click the "apply now" button at the end of this ad. You will then be able to apply and upload any supporting documents to the competition and answer the job posting questions.
3. You will automatically receive an email from this website letting you know your application to the competition has been received.
If you have any difficulties applying through the Make a Future website, email your resume, cover letter, and scanned copy of your BSW certificate (if applicable) to Michelle Peacock, VSB Recruitment (email@example.com)