The B.C. Ministry of Education has suspended all in-class instruction; however, the VSB is continuing to actively hire. These positions will start when in-class instruction resumes.
In step with physical distancing requirements, we are arranging online interviews. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Teach in BC’s most culturally diverse and urban school district, Vancouver School District No. 39. Set in one of the world’s most livable cities, Vancouver is a community-minded district seeking talented educators, progressive leaders, and skilled support staff to enrich the learning experience of Vancouver’s 50,000 students.
The Vancouver Board of Education (VSB) welcomes applications for the position of:
On-Call Mandarin Teachers (Elementary and Secondary)
The Board's general requirement is that TTOC's be available for call-out on 50% of the instructional days in any month.
On-Call Mandarin teachers are required at the elementary and secondary levels. Vancouver has two Mandarin bilingual schools at the elementary level: Norquay and Jamieson. In Mandarin Bilingual classes, instruction is provided in Mandarin for 50% of the school day throughout the year, including Mandarin language arts. The orthography taught will be traditional and zhuyin as well as simplified and pin yin. On-call Mandarin teachers may be required to teach up to 100% of the school day in Mandarin. Mandarin is also taught in some of the 18 secondary schools in Vancouver.
The District Mentoring Support Teacher (DMST) Team directly supports teachers who are in their first five years of teaching, offers opportunities to connect and collaborate with other Early Career Teachers (ECTs) and provides resources, updates and newsletters through our online platform.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Completion of a Bachelor's of Education
- Completion of a successful teaching practicum and/or successful teaching experience in a Mandarin Bilingual classroom is required
- Completion of a Mandarin Immersion Methodology Teacher Training Program is an asset
- Native or Native-like fluency in both oral and written traditional Mandarin (not simplified) is required
- Native or Native-like fluency in English is required
- Membership in or eligible to become a member of the Teacher Regulation Branch
- Registration with the Teacher Qualification Service
- Experience and coursework in Bilingual language instruction is preferred
Your application portfolio must include the following documents:
- TRB (Teacher Regulation Branch) Status:
- If your application is in process, please provide a screenshot of the application, including the drop down menu of outstanding documents
Due to the confidentiality of the interview process and the high volume of applications, we do not provide feedback, notify unsuccessful applicants or respond to inquiries regarding the status of an application.
We will contact applicants directly if we are interested in moving forward or if an application requires additional information.
HOW TO APPLY:
1. Register on Make a Future: http://www.makeafuture.ca/
2. Create a profile under "Teachers, Principals & Superintendents"
3. Click on Job Postings, Search and select a job that you are qualified for
4. Answer the job posting questions then click Apply
5. Upload supporting documents
6. Once you submit your application you will receive a confirmation email from Make a Future
** The VSB has been given approval from the Human Rights Tribunal for a Special Program under s. 42(3) of the Human Rights Code. Under this special program, the VSB seeks to preferentially hire Aboriginal persons to a variety of teaching positions; therefore, each applicant may wish to provide, on a voluntary basis, information whether they self-identify as an Aboriginal person.