Central Okanagan Public Schools (School District No. 23), Kelowna BC, provides education services to 22,000 students in the communities of Peachland, West Kelowna, Kelowna, Lake Country and the Regional District of Central Okanagan. We invite applications for the position of:
Full-Time Okanagan Language and Culture Instructor
Under the supervision of the District Principal – Indigenous Education, the Okanagan Language and Culture Instructor will implement curriculum to instruct multi-grade classes, and introduce students to the language and culture of the Okanagan Nation using a communicative-experiential approach. The Okanagan Language and Culture Instructor will provide culturally-relevant activities and diverse instructional strategies to enhance learning at various locations within the District.
Applicants must have:
- completed Grade 12 (Senior Secondary School Graduation);
- one-year post-secondary education, including completion of cultural coursework specific to Okanagan Language and Culture;
- Okanagan Language Speaker – fluent at a level in the Okanagan language that will enable the incumbent to present in a classroom setting;
- ability to read and write in the Okanagan language at a basic level;
- knowledge of traditional Okanagan songs and dances;
- knowledge of Okanagan culture and history with awareness around cultural protocols;
- knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Outlook, Power Point).
Applicants will be expected to:
- communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- communicate and build effective working relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders including administrators, teachers, staff, parents, and students;
- demonstrate a high degree of integrity and professionalism;
- demonstrate organization, planning and development skills;
- work with or without supervision;
- travel within various locations within the District.
- participate in Cultural Awareness Training;
- participate in MyEd BC training.
Experience in lesson and day planning, and working with Kindergarten to Grade 12 students in a classroom setting is an asset.
Preference may be given to Indigenous applicants of Okanagan ancestral descent who can demonstrate knowledge of, and commitment to, Aboriginal culture and ancestry (as per Special Program with the BC Human Rights Tribunal).
This is a full-time (35 hours per week) 10 month position, offering a wage rate of $25.89 per hour, plus a comprehensive employee benefit package including extended health and dental coverage, short term and long term disability insurance and participation in a defined benefit pension plan.
Please complete an on-line application and include a cover letter, resume, copy of diploma and/or transcripts, proof of experience, and three references.
This posting will remain open until filled.
The Central Okanagan Public Schools thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.