School District 8 (Kootenay Lake) is nestled in the Southeast corner of British Columbia. We are a vibrant area, covering 6 "families of schools" in the centres of Creston, Crawford Bay, Kaslo/Meadow Creek, Nelson, Salmo, and the Slocan Valley. Our area is beautiful, vibrant, a fantastic place to raise children, has a world-renowned Arts and Entertainment community, and easily accesses a variety of amazing outdoor pursuits.
Our FOCUS.LEARN.EXCEL philosophy and our Board of Education's Learning Goals of: Literacy, Numeracy, Indigenization and Inclusion guide our practice with our students. Our learners and our staff are further guided by our Board of Education's Student Expectations of: Academic Success, Creativity and Imagination, Citizenship, and Resiliency. We focus on excellence for all learners in a nurturing environment.
School District #8 (Kootenay Lake) has a vacancy for a grade 9-12 Textiles teacher at L.V. Rogers Secondary School in Nelson, BC.
The awarded applicant will have recent demonstrated successful experience working collaboratively with school staff, is able to work closely with the school team, is knowledgeable, and is able to work appropriately with teachers who have students with a diverse range of learning challenges. The awarded applicant will be innovative, creative, inclusive, and demonstrate an understanding of the BC Ed Plan and the District and school Inclusion Plan. He/she will be a person who is continually striving to improve pedagogy in a changing educational environment.
This posting could be combined with the term 1.0FTE Foods teacher posting L.V. Rogers Secondary for the right candidate. Please indicate on your cover letter that you will be applying for both positions and would like to be considered for both.
• Bachelor of Education (Elementary or Middle) with a middle/ secondary focus and experience working in a secondary school setting;
• A valid BC teaching certificate and current membership in the Teacher Regulation Branch.
Teachers applying for this position must possess the following attributes:
• Willingness to work closely with parents;
• Capacity to work collaboratively with colleagues;
• Excellent classroom management skills;
• Knowledge of current instructional practices and curriculum, including the SD8 Inclusion Model;
• Strong interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills;
• Ability to plan for diversity of student skills and needs;
• Recent, demonstrated successful experience in a middle or secondary school setting;
• Excellent organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to be flexible;
• Familiarity with social-emotional learning;
The ideal candidate will be expected to:
• Demonstrate and model different sewing techniques, including machine and hand sewing
• Coordinate and deliver services for identified diverse learners;
• Demonstrate ability to use differentiated instruction to meet the learning needs of diverse learners;
• Demonstrate knowledge and experience in working from an inclusion perspective to address diverse learning needs;
• Participate in on-going professional development and develop a personal growth plan;
• Work in an atmosphere of collaboration with staff to build consistency and quality of programs
• Communicate effectively with staff and parents;
• Be familiar with the BC Ed plan, school district board goals and school goals;
• Implement school wide strategies to support the school board’s student expectations, school and class needs;
• Demonstrate a willingness to work collaboratively with others in developing school and district-based initiatives;
• Demonstrate knowledge of using technology to support student learning.
Please ensure that all applicable documents are uploaded including a recent Teacher Report.
For questions please contact Principal, Ben Eaton at email@example.com or 250-352-5538.
School District 8 supports equity hiring for Indigenous applicants.
*If you are experiencing any technical issues with your application process to contact Make A Future's customer service line as HR cannot upload or assist with these types of issues. We also cannot accept documents via email such as cover letters/resumes/transcripts/teaching reports via email as they do need to be part of the employee's Make a Future profile.