Bella Bella Community School Society invites applications from elementary teachers for primary and intermediate positions. We are looking for compassionate and dynamic individuals with confident classroom management skills. Knowledge and experience with aboriginal students and the updated BC curriculum are assets, as are musical talents.
We will also need you to support and engage with the SEAS (Supporting Emerging Aboriginal Stewards) program and initiatives http://www.emergingstewards.org. The successful applicants need to be focused on improving student achievement and wellbeing, and be positive members of our team.
Desired Abilities, Qualifications and Experience
- Specialization and/or experience in teaching students at the elementary level.
- A commitment and demonstrated ability to nurture a school culture that is inclusive and focused on the learning needs of diverse learners.
- Knowledge and awareness of BC First Nations people
- Knowledge and awareness of initiatives and promising practices with regard to Aboriginal education.
- Current knowledge of research driven instructional and assessment strategies
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Conflict resolution and problem solving skills.
- Able to cultivate and maintain relationships with students, staff members, parents, and the community;
- Supportive of a wide variety of learning strategies
- Knowledgeable about the role of technology to support learning.
- Committed to meeting the unique needs of a diverse school community.
- Innovative ideas and experience in developing and supporting a positive, safe and caring school climate.
- Strong interest and capacities in extra-curricular activities
- Passionate about developing a music program
Bella Bella Community School (BBCS) offers Nursery to Grade 12 to both Heiltsuk and non-Heiltsuk students and is accredited as a BC Ministry of Education Independent School and is certified with the First Nations School Association.
Bella Bella is located in the heart of the Heiltsuk Nation and the Great Bear Rainforest! Positions at this school will appeal to individuals who have a strong interest in teaching First Nations students, would appreciate the opportunity to embrace Heiltsuk Culture, enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, kayaking, boating and fishing and are comfortable living on the stunning Central Coast of BC.
Bella Bella is reached by regular Pacific Coastal air service from Vancouver or by BC Ferries from Port Hardy or Prince Rupert.
Our mission is to develop in a just, caring, and respectful environment, students who are independent and life-long learners, incorporating our community traditions and culture with the acquisition of skills needed to succeed in both the traditional and modern worlds.
* Competitive salary and benefits package
* Subsidized furnished accommodation
* $500 Relocation allowance
* $500 Signing bonus
* One round trip airfare to Vancouver per school year
* Bonus sick day package
Please email the following:
- cover letter
- scan of certification
- scan of official transcripts indicating degree(s) earned
- recent Criminal Record Check & Vulnerable Sector Check
- three professional references
to Haydn George at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
For further information regarding this opportunity please contact, Haydn at 250 505 5714 and see our BBCS website