It is acknowledged that Central Okanagan Public Schools operates within the traditional unceded territory of the Okanagan Syilx peoples. Central Okanagan Public Schools (School District No. 23) is a growing, progressive and dynamic school district providing education services to approximately 24,000 students with over 3,000 employees and 47 schools sites in the communities of Peachland, West Kelowna, Kelowna, Lake Country and Oyama. The Central Okanagan Public School District has an excellent reputation of providing outstanding, student-centered programs in a diverse and inclusive environment as well as offering a wide range of educational opportunities for its students and staff.
We invite applications for the position of:
Payroll and Benefits Clerk
Under the supervision of the Assistant Payroll Manager and the Payroll and Benefits Clerk - Lead, provide a full range of payroll and benefit services to 1000-1500 employees within the School District. Duties include:
- collect, verify, enter and file time sheets;
- maintain payroll databases and appropriate documentation supporting all payroll transactions;
- prepare records of employment;
- monitor and reconcile benefit payments and deductions and process benefit coverage changes;
- discuss benefit options with employees and determine eligibility;
- respond to inquiries and provide information of a detailed and specialized nature.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- completed Grade 12 (Senior Secondary School Graduation);
- Canadian Payroll Compliance Practitioner Certificate (consideration may be given to those willing to successfully complete the CPC Certificate within 18 months of start date);
- knowledge and experience with various payroll software programs;
- three (3) years’ experience preparing, processing and maintaining a variety of payroll and benefits packages in a medium to large multi-union environment;
- demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with all District employees, and various Government departments and benefit carriers;
- excellent organizational skills to ensure that work is performed in a logical sequence to provide accuracy within established time frames;
- ability to consistently meet a demanding workload with mandatory deadlines in this service-oriented department;
- knowledge and experience with data entry/keyboarding;
- knowledge and experience with word processing skills.
The successful candidate must be:
- a self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision;
- able to work alone and work within a team environment;
- able to understand how the payroll system integrates with the accounting system.
The successful applicant will be expected to:
- maintain a high quality of work including accuracy and dependability;
- have excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- maintain excellent interpersonal skills;
- maintain confidentiality.
This is a full-time position (40 hours/week) with a competitive salary ($25.89/hour, $26.41 effective July 1, 2021) and benefits package, including participation in a defined benefit pension plan. This position is subject to JJEC.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply online complete with cover letter and resume outlining relevant background and work experience and 3 references. This will be posted until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.