|A Great Place to Learn!
School District 22 (Vernon) is looking for qualified District Aboriginal Support Workers (ASW) to add to our on-call/casual list.
This posting doesn't necessarily indicate a vacancy, but allows candidates to apply for future consideration.
ASWs provide academic, cultural and social-emotional support for Indigenous student(s).
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Six (6) months relevant training which includes recent Okanagan College Education Assistant certificate, or equivalent education, (eg., similar to a 450 hour post-secondary EA program) including practicum experience or training in dealing with resistant students and conflict resolution.
- Four months previous experience working with Indigenous Youth
- Life experience and knowledge of and sensitivity to values, beliefs and needs of the Indigenous community from which the students come
- Familiarity with current computer programs such as Boardmaker, Intellitools, Clicker, Kurzweil, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Demonstrated ability to learn and successfully use new technology
- Demonstrated ability to possess literacy, numeracy and English skills
- Proven ability to develop rapport with students and work in a team setting
- Personal attributes required include strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated initiative, flexibility, good communication skills.
This position is unionized, CUPE local 5523 and the hourly rate of pay is $25.86 plus a comprehensive benefit plan.
While all applicants will be considered, preference will be given to qualified applicants who self-declare Indigenous ancestry.